1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

ZAP/STAR Lists - Import/Export text file formats

Discussion in 'Internet Control Panel (ICP)' started by AlbertTheGeek, Apr 18, 2013.

1. AlbertTheGeek

AlbertTheGeek Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Hi Folks,

Just received my new Call Blocker. Installed it fine and read through booklet OK. Now I'd like to prepare my Zap and Star Lists offline and import them into the Control Panel but to do that I need to understand the text format. Got one entry and it looks like it is going to be a CSV-type file but what are the record entries?

It looks like the format is:

<phone_number>,<name>,<list_name>,<????>, <name_held_on_device (TRUE or FALSE)>

Is this correct?

Does anyone know what the penultimate (????) entry is?

2. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    That looks correct but I don't know what the mystery entry is, although it does seem to be 2 in my data for anything on the star list and 3 for anything on the zap list.
    I will ask trueCall Towers!

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    There has to be an assignment whether the number is on the star or zap list (it can't be on both), so this is a good bet. The question is what the code should be if the number is not on either list, and how wild card phone numbers are treated.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The following correlates with my observations:

<phone_number>,<name>,<list_name>,<list_code>,<name_held_on_device>

where:

<phone_number> := [phone number] | [partial phone number] "*"
    <name> := [free text]
    <list_name>,<list_code> := "None,0" | "My Star List,2" | "My Zap List,3"
    <name_held_on_device> := "True" | "False"

Wild cards in phone numbers is an Extra facility on the Classic, not sure about the other models.

5. AlbertTheGeek

AlbertTheGeek Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    OK, so I'm a geek (and software engineer so even worse) and am just wondering why the value of "1" is missing from the list_code abstraction? :confused:

I have a Call Blocker and the wildcard use for phone numbers is quoted in the instructions inside the Internet Control Panel so I can only presume that its use is OK on my hardware too.

So this information on the list_code then prompts me to think, as there is only one file link to import or export for both the Zap and Star lists, that I can create a text file with intermingled Zap list and Star List entries. Nice, but for readability I think I'll put one list at the top of the file and the other at the bottom of the file.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Hey, if you want to play, see what happens if you import a list where <list_code> = "1" or where <list_code> and <list_name> don't match! (I might get shot for this! :lol:)

I hope <list_code> != { "0" | "2" | "3" } gets rejected, and <list_name> gets disregarded.

7. AlbertTheGeek

AlbertTheGeek Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Great minds think alike. :whistle:

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The next question is: does an imported list completely wipe out the existing entries, or is it added to the existing entries? It seems most likely to be the former, in which case anybody wanting to import (for example - cough) a zap list from somewhere :whistle: would have to export and then merge, and import the merged list.

I'm thinking somebody (probably a software engineer geek) might like to write a little utility to do the necessary? Via a spreadsheet would make it easy to manage at the user end.

9. AlbertTheGeek

AlbertTheGeek Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    The more I use my Call Blocker the better I like it .... and this from a jaundiced/pessimistic engineer in the Embedded Computing/Industrial Automation world for more years than I care to remember. Things just get better and better.

Just managed to run some tests. You will be happy to know that they have already thought about things like this. The system automatically merges as it is. You don't have to Export the current list and manually merge new records it does it for you. Assuming you already have a "My Star List" and "My Zap List" running on your unit:
    1. Create a new plain text file - use a text editor, DO NOT USE A WORD PROCESSOR.
    2. Name the file anything you want but the file extension MUST be ".list" e.g. new_records.list
    3. From the first line create new records for either or both the Star and Zap lists. Only new records required, you do not need to have the old records too. An example of the records is shown below.
    4. Save the file and close the text editor.
    5. In the Internet Control Panel, upload the new list file. Records are automatically merged with those already there.
    New list records are each to be on a new line in this format:
    <phone_number>,<name>,<list_name>,<list_number>, <name_held_on_device>
    Where:
    name : Free text name but only alpha-characters accepted. If no name is to be quoted do not insert any characters between the deliminating commas.
    list_name : My Star List | My Zap List | none
    list_number : 0 | 2 | 3 0 = none 2 = Star List 3 = Zap List
    name_held_on _device : True | False Set to True if you want the device to contain the stated name.

Example:

01234567890,Fred Bloggs,My Star List,2,True
    01122334455,,My Zap List,3,False

HAL9000, Top Cat and diabolo like this.
  10. AlbertTheGeek

AlbertTheGeek Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    On an ancillary note within this thread ....

When I was trying out the merge method I also tested what happens when the list number is set to "1". Once imported it sets the List Name to "Priority". This may be an undocumented feature due for implementing in the future but for the moment I cannot find a reference for what this is about.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    No, I've not heard of Priority either, but it sounds interesting!

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Did you try importing without the list named, just the code?