1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Weblink from Canada

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by dborn, Oct 15, 2015.

1. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    Hi all,

First post here. I just installed a new trueCall blocker in Montreal, Canada (on Videotron voip phone service).

Anybody else in the same configuration as myself? I'd like to know if you are able to do weblinks.
    On my unit/setup, the weblinks are not going through (as a long-distance call to Toronto, Ontario, Canada).

At first, initiating a manual weblink would keep the trueCall connected for 10 minutes and then simply stopping with no status. Going on the truecallcontrol website showed no weblinks happening.

I called support and they had me enter a "##*..." command to reprogram the unit to use the Toronto server (in case it wasn't). After this, manual weblinks stop after about a minute with the status message "weblink failed, please try again later". I've tried reprogramming the unit and re-initiating a manual weblink several times and it always fails with the same behaviour.

I went back to the truecallcontrol website and saw that one weblink did partially get through with only the sent and received calls for that day and none of my starred callers (don't have zapped callers yet!). I've been back in touch with support and they suggest the problem is on my end and offer no additional help (so far?).

From that partial weblink upload I was able to determine that my unit was previously configured to call the New York server (with which I got the 10 minute connection and no status result). As an experiment, I reprogrammed my unit using the "##*..." code they gave me but with the NY number instead. This should have brought me back to my original situation, or so I thought except now I also get the same failure message after about a minute.

I also noticed from my partial weblink info that the trueCall tries (and fails) to initiate a weblink after each remote access I make... I'm not looking forward to my next phone bill, with all these tests I've been doing...

I'd really love to get the weblinks working or at the very least, turn off the automatic weblink but I can't change that unless I can perform a weblink... :(

Any suggestions for me aside from returning the unit for a refund..?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    As far as I know, you're the first on the forum (and welcome).

trueCall customer support is normally very responsive, so send them an email.

3. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    Thanks Top Cat!
    I have (in fact I made a mistake when I said I talked to them, it was only by email) and the timezone difference is not helping as one message exchange with support takes about a day roundtrip.

It's not always a good thing being the first one! ;)
    Oh well, I've got a few ideas of my own of things to try now that I have the code to reprogram the server's phone number :devil:

If nothing works, the unit came with a 1 month money back garantee due to being a "trial" North American version. I would rather keep it though but since I need to use the wildcard numbers in my starred and zapped lists, this has to be done only via weblinks... Too bad that couldn't be done directly from a connected phone.

Wish me luck in getting the weblink to work!
    Daniel

4. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    It turns my unit was not talking to the right server and the correct connection options were not used.
    After this was straightened out, everything is fine now with no more failed weblink attempts.

All is good now, all I need is a toll-free (or local) number to call for those weblinks!

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Great news, but I think that a toll-free server might be asking a bit much.

Over here (UK) the weblink is a trunk (long distance) call unless one happens to be living in London, but our phone contracts frequently offer unlimited evening & weekend calls (max 1 hour duration per call) for small additional monthly fee.

6. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    One can always hope! :)
    Of course, the ultimate solution to this problem is having an ethernet port directly on the trueCall unit! This would eliminate the need for dedicated local servers in each country (such as the one located here in Toronto or the one in New York). I sure hope the folks at trueCall are considering this! I know I would get one for sure!

Here in Canada, my telephone service provider is Videotron (cable) and offers free long-distance calls between subscribers. Unfortunately for me, the trueCall server is not on a Videotron line! :) My long-distance calls cost $.10 cdn per minute (0.05GBP) and unlimited Canada long-distance calls are offered at $7.95cdn per month (4GBP) which is likely to be more than I would spend in long-distance calls for the entire month!

Anyway, I've got it configured now as no automatic weblinks except for once a week. I can always force one by calling in and doing the "**" command in case I need to see my phone activity while away.

Cheers,
    Daniel