1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Watching them not get through....

Discussion in 'General' started by Belligerent Barbara, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Belligerent Barbara

Belligerent Barbara Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    .... is fun, isn't it?

I had two calls from a Manchester call centre last Monday (googled the number, it was a hearing loss one) - I didn't answer them. They haven't tried again.

I had one from a solar panels place on Thursday morning... I answered, but hung up when he started with the spiel about Government schemes. Then my Call Blocker arrived. The same solar panels place tried on Thursday afternoon, but hung up when challenged. I added it to my zap list. They tried again today - got zapped, how satisfying!

A number from Myanmar tried me 3 times on Friday and Saturday, they hung up during screening. They are now on my zap list.

What sort of patterns do you observe? If zapping a caller makes them take you off their call list, then presumably you must be getting added to new call lists all the time. You would think they would eventually realise it was a waste of time. But having said that, I have always told cold callers (reasonably politely) to bog off and not call me again. But new ones keep trying, it seems.

Have you noticed a reduction in the number of attempted calls since you got your trueCall?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    To be honest, I rarely check. I usually have a robocall or two to purge from my messaging, but now you mention it I haven't had one of those for a good few days now (famous last words).

3. Belligerent Barbara

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    The robocalls never bothered me as much as the live ones. If I answer one, I can just hang up straight away. If I get home and find one on the answering machine, there's actually a sense of relief, because I can just press delete..... if it was a real person, I would have to do something about it.

I think robocalls would quickly become annoying if they occurred frequently, though.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have my trueCall (Classic) set up to send all non-starred callers to messaging (just in case). Consequently all robocalls leave a message (I have suggested there is a mode where callers are asked to press a key to leave a message, which would eliminate that).

For reference, in the first 8 days of December I have logged four withhelds, three internationals, an 0845, and "0099999999".

5. Belligerent Barbara

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    You don't use Whisper, then?

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  7. Belligerent Barbara

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    For the first time this morning, I heard my Call Blocker beep, as I was near where it's sited when a call came in. A few lights flashed, then it went back to its idle state. I did a weblink, and it was my old friend Energy Review on 01302357990.

They have now called me four times in less than two weeks.

Call 1 (before Call Blocker) - I asked them who they were, and when they told me, I hung up on them.
    Call 2 - Whisper - hung up during screening. I then added them to my zap list
    Call 3 - Zapped
    Call 4 - Zapped

They really are not getting the message, are they?

8. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Zapping callers will eventually get your number taken off their call list but the effect is not immediate as so many of these calls are automated anyway, it can sometimes take weeks. And - exactly as you state - your phone number is indeed getting added to new lists all the time. So one scammer eventually gives up on your number as a waste of time but there are always plenty more scammers to take their place. And that is where TC justifies its cost.