1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

"Warrant Out For Your Arrest" Scam Call

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by Top Cat, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Beware, there's a nasty scam phone call doing the rounds (my trueCall screened it out and recorded their pitch this morning):

It is a sythesised voice claiming the HMRC have a warrant out for your arrest and not to ignore the call. It asks you to call a London number about the matter - 0203 290 8778. I presume that if you do, you will be talked into parting with some money to make the "problem" go away.

Treat any such call in the manner it deserves - just put the phone down. There is no way the police or the HMRC would be phoning you up to announce you are in trouble out of the blue, and definitely not as a recorded announcement not even calling you by name. The scammers do this so they can send out a flood of such calls without human intervention, in the hope that just a few might bear fruit.

To be honest, when I first listened to the message I was taken aback and started to wonder what to do about it. I soon realised this was a scam though, and I have reported it to the police. Somebody less savvy might well fall for it.

PS: BT no longer charge for Caller ID, so there is now no impediment to own a trueCall unit and not be troubled by scam calls.