1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

VOIP

Discussion in 'General' started by Seamill, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Seamill

Seamill Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    This is probably a dumb question, but will the trueCall unit work with VOIP calls? I am totally unfamiliar with VOIP, but we are transferring to FTTP for broadband, and I have been told that we won't need a phone line as well, because we will be able to use VOIP. I'm not sure what that even is, or if calls have to be made on the computer, but if it uses a standard handset, maybe the trueCall unit will work with it? Would love any (not too technical!) input. :)

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Let's say "it depends".

I have no practical experience with VoIP telephone delivery, but logically it must either provide a phone unit that interfaces directly to the WAN (probably by an Ethernet connection) or there must be an adapter to convert the same to a normal phone connection for a normal phone. The latter "feels" the most likely, because otherwise the VoIP could not support multiple phone extensions, and the user would be restricted to a special-to-purpose telephone unit.

Once the WAN (delivered by fibre) has been split into Internet, TV, and phone connections at the fibre modem, those ports should operate like they normally would.

There are more clues here: http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/no-telepests-on-voip.179/

Please let us know how you get on.