1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Vacancy: Anti-Telepest Coordinator

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by Top Cat, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Anybody fancy the job of keeping a list of telepests?

2. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    Thank you but no. I strongly believe that one persons telepest is another persons possibly welcome caller. For me it's better to keep your own list.

3. Telephone Turtle

Telephone Turtle New Member

trueCall Model:
    If one of us were to keep these lists to publish them on here (no matter how obvious a number is a telepest) would we need to have some form of data protection "officer" status to abide with UK law?

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Refer here:

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/trueCall-zaplist-aggregated-from-all-users.59 (post 4)

I don't see why we can't discuss these things or that we would contravene any data protection. I was only keen that trueCall itself be kept out of it.

Various telepests will inevitably be reported here, even though there are specific forums for such things, and a coordinated list can (if the user wishes) be copied from here, adjusted if required, and imported into the control panel zap list (as per AlbertTheGeek's investigations).

Personally I'm not bothered, only my star list callers get through and I only have to zap telepest numbers that fall in my wild cards.

5. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    I am not sure if this is a practical idea. When I first had trueCall, all cold calls came from Withheld numbers, or International/Unavailable. At first it was only necessart to block thes and pass numbers beginning 01 or 02. The "enemy" has got wize to this and now routes calls via"ghost" numbers, so incoming international calls can display ordinary UK numbers, which they seem to change daily.

My solution is to use "shield all calls" but pass all calls from my local areas using the wild card, e.g. star list 01522* for Lincoln and also 01427* for Gainsborough. Far away family can be star listed individually.

John

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Precisely what I do - see the Introductons section.

7. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    Trouble is I have started getting telepest calls with my local area code (01268) from supposedly the Debt advice Line, so that might not work for long:(

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I do have individual zaps within the wild card areas...

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Hot news from trueCall Towers: they like the idea of forum users sharing their zap lists, and have a few suggestions regarding the management of such. However, I understand they are currently tweaking the export and import data formats so perhaps we need to hold off until we see the results.

Meanwhile, we are still looking for a volunteer coordinator.

diabolo likes this.
  10. FatherHobbit

FatherHobbit New Member

trueCall Model:
    Any news from trueCall Towers regarding the export/import formats?

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The man from Delmonte, he say:

12. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    We possibly need to be able to configure the export format, it throws out .list files which on a mac have no association so you have to use "open with".
    I tend to favour TextWrangler which has a lot of programming orientated format customisation options.

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.