1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Using trueCall Messaging in combination with Another Answering Machine

Discussion in 'General' started by Top Cat, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have a DECT set complete with built-in answering machine facilities connected to my trueCall Classic. The desired purpose of my trueCall is to only pass through callers on my star list - everyone else is invited to leave a message (cold callers won't bother, anybody else - possibly a friend calling from an unrecognised number - leaves a message and I can get back to them).

The trueCall will also pick up star callers after a preprogrammed delay if not answered and offer to take a message - but by setting the delay to the maximum (120 seconds) the messaging in the DECT set gets there first. This means that any messages stored on the DECT answering machine are from callers on my star list, and messages on the trueCall are from unrecognised callers. Useful! Note however that this will not interoperate with the trueCall Whisper facility (which will ring the phone asking whether to accept the call).

Telephone companies also offer call minder services at the exchange, which can cut in and take a message if the line is not answered within a certain time. Depending how you have your trueCall set up this can also operate in the same way (taking an unanswered call from your star list) or be a hindrance. In general, you will not need a central call-minder service when you have a trueCall, as it can be set up in a variety of ways to handle messaging for you.

HAL9000 likes this.
  2. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    I can see one use of a Communication Provider's call minder service. If you have a prepayment electricity meter, you would need it. Since when the power goes off, both the trueCall and any DECT phone handsets won't work.

** Updated **
    And it also takes messages when the line is busy with a call, or for some fault conditions on a line.

BT's voicemail systems are
    1. BT Answer 1571. which is free unless you make a very very low single figure number of chargeable or package inclusive calls.
    2. BT Call Minder 1571. is the one with all the bells and whistles including remote access etc. and charged at £3.30 pcm minimum.
    The confusion is that the are both accessed with the same code. Also once upon a time BT used to charge you for Personal greetings on BT Answer. 1471 is sometimes referred to as (caller return). Its not, its more like "Last callers number, when available" but call return is the chargeable part when you return the call by lazily pressing 3 and being ripped off for your foolishness. (17.7p per call).
    Use the number stored by trueCall for free i.e. only the actual call cost if it is not inclusive on your call package.
    141, 1471, 1470, 1475 are often confused, since there are interactions with 1571 and misunderstandings as to what happens to the last CallerID when 1571 takes a call when the line is busy, especially if you have call waiting.
    141 withholds CallerID on a per call basis
    1470 releases CallerID on a per call basis for those who have opted for the default behaviour one their line to withhold CallerID
    1475 erases the stored CallerID so that a colleague or family member cannot retrieve the number of the last caller.

3. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    Interestingly, the trueCall contains NC relays so that in the event of a power failure it effectively just connects the two 'phone cords together internally. It won't work in the sense of recording etc. but it's nice to see that the designers thought about this. Mind you, it would still rely on people having a backup non-DECT 'phone somewhere which is becoming less and less common.

4. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    So a phone drawing its power from the line plugged in to the trueCall would still work without any messing around replugging, but its best to use the flexibility of a DECT phone, since you can have as many handsets as DECT allows (6 IIRC) rather than 4 from the REN limit.

5. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Useful to know about the relays, Diabolo.

My backup system is DECT enabled; the base unit is corded and has a psu together with a cordless satellite with its own charging station. In the event of power failure, the base unit may still be used as a normal 'phone, only the satellite unit is hors de combat. Should my standard DECT setup fail for some other reason, I still have one base 'phone and one cordless satellite to use while things get sorted.

6. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I think the issue db1 is referring to is that if your power goes off while you are out, the Call Minder service will still be able to capture incoming messages whereas almost anything at home will be unable to.

I suppose Call Minder could be useful in this case, if one is really so terrified of missing something, and I believe it will also take messages when the line is engaged, but damned if I would pay for it for that.

7. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    see update to #2 above

8. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    You have me thinking now...I did once run a DECT base from a small bank of NiMH cells with success. The psu is DC out and the current involved is very low anyway. I'd have thought it possible to set up a similar system as a standby for the trueCall. I must set up an experiment for that; my guess would be that Low Self Discharge (LSD) would be most convenient. Of course, a major power cut lasting many hours would be beyond such a setup, but most power cuts are of fairly short duration.