1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Unrecognised caller / Whisper / Picked up at extension

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by davidm53, Jul 6, 2019.

1. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Seeing quite a lot of these over the last few weeks or so, some from numbers recognised by "Who Called Me" as scams, but other numbers that are not recognised, all of these having a call duration of 2 or 3 seconds.

What does this Picked up at extension comment mean? They certainly weren't picked up by any of our phones - the base station is plugged into the trueCall and we have none before the trueCall. I'd like to understand what these calls are before putting them on my zap list.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Does your DECT offer an answering machine function?

3. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Yes, but it's switched off. I'll check the user guide to see if there's an option to "properly" disable it, but I don't think so.
    I've asked the question to trueCall Support, will post back what they say.

Top Cat likes this.
  4. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Just an update: Some friends complained that they couldn't contact us, and after disconnecting all the "boxes" and cordless base station, plus connecting an old wired phone direct to the incoming line, realised that we had a line fault! Outgoing calls worked ok, incoming calls worked if you picked up the handset, but no ringing for incoming calls. Virgin came out and eventually found a wiring problem between our nearest street junction box and another one about 1/4 mile away! All fixed now, and I haven't seen any of these Picked up at extension status reports since, but early days yet. I'm continuing monitoring before I report back to trueCall support, and will update here then.

5. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Spoke too soon, just done a manual weblink and checked my call log to find that for a week or so after the line fault was fixed things were fine, then suddenly getting a whole load of these false Picked up at extension messages. I've sent a copy of my call log to Support to see what they make of it.

I'm starting to lose confidence in this device!

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's been a while since your first contact to support - any response?

7. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Yes, after the first contact with them the guy wanted to speak with me on the phone, but I told him that I thought it best to wait until my Virgin Media line problem had been fixed and then I'd monitor the calls again to see if the problem was still there, which he agreed with. Now that I've sent him a copy of my call log he will probably be in touch early next week.

For the moment I've had to disconnect the trueCall box, it's not responding to test calls from my mobile properly, and we have some personal stuff going on with an aged relative whereby we must be contactable.

8. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Update. I eventually decided to go back to basics and disconnected everything and checked my telephone wiring. It's obviously suffered from too many hands (BT, NTL/Virgin, NTL engineer "on the side", me!). There were wires going all all over the place, 3 master sockets connected in series, with various extensions off them, a real spider web. So I've now disconnected everything except the first master socket, checked that the connections there and in the Virgin junction box are all sound, and connected my tC box to that master socket, and then the cordless phone base unit into that.

There are no wired extensions anywhere (yes I do keep a wired handset handy for emergencies, but it's not left plugged in). Interesting that the tC support guy said there there were some tweaks they could do to their box to adjust how it detected if any phone extensions were connected, but I didn't follow this up.

So far I have had no more of the false Picked up at extension messages. I'll leave things a bit longer before I see about reinstalling my Orchid dialler box.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Very good. That lot would have being playing havoc with your broadband too, but I suspect you are using cable/fibre for that.

10. davidm53

davidm53 Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Update: After about 4 weeks of operating with the tC box connected direct to the master socket, my phone base station plugged into the tC, and no other extensions or odd cables connected anywhere, the tC box seems to be working as it should (using the Standard profile). Only problem is that all my out going calls are now going via Virgin Media and my phone bill has quadrupled!!

So at the beginning of September I reinstalled the Orchid Dialler (OD) between the master socket and the tC, and my outgoing calls are now routed via 18185 except for weekends when VM local calls are free. However the tC box is misbehaving:
    - starred calls are ringing, and fine when picked up. If not picked up they are not going to voicemail.
    - non starred calls (all of them, zapped and unmarked) are reported as either "Unrecognised caller / Whisper / Picked up at extension" or "Call from a mobile phone / Whisper / Picked up at extension" or "Caller's number withheld / Whisper / Picked up at extension". Non of these calls have been picked up (the phone hasn't rung), and non have gone to voicemail. So they've all been "lost".

I can't connect the OD box after the tC unit, as any use of * or # on the phone handset to to star or zap callers may be interpreted as program instructions by the OD box (and I don't know if the OD box passes them through anyway).

I've raised a ticket with trueCall support, and will report back in due course.