1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Complaints & Praise' started by boswell, Jan 30, 2014.

1. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    Been using trueCall for years now and simply do not get any junk calls now I have the system set as I want.
    However today as I was expecting a delivery and our Post Code tricky to find, I switched OFF trueCall - the reason being that when the delivery driver has to call me on his mobile when he's lost, he's often unable to also then press a further code number to get through to me - the phone clamped to his ear (naughty) and driving the van.
    So to make it easier and knowing his delivery to me was between 4 and 5 I switched it off at just before 4pm.
    Driver duly delivered at just before 5pm ( he didn't get lost this time so didn't need to phone) but then I forgot to switch trueCall back on.
    At 5.15 I get a call. I pick it up and just listen - no one speaks at the other end either and it appears to be from some call centre ostensibly in Glasgow? (I find this later) a noisy background, then more people noises, they don't know if I'm there or not and they hang up - probably automatically or they got some other poor sucker.
    Had trueCall been ON this would never have got through. This is the first crap call I've had for many, many months - so it shows very clearly how VERY effective trueCall is - BRILLIANT!

2. Hixoratums

Hixoratums New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    It is brilliant - nuisance calls have reduced, but we don't even actually receive them, just see them on the Control Panel (which is well worth paying for BTW).
    However, I noted that you had a similar problem to me, in that you needed to remove the trueCall Call Blocker from the system. You turned it off, but forgot to turn it back on... OK, well, I have to deal with various people from the NHS pretty regularly. It's a monolithic organisation and very disjointed, so giving them a bypass number rarely works. Turning it off can be a problem too, as mains sockets are used for other things. Fortunately, I know my way around designing electronic circuits and so I am making a unit that physically connects/disconnects trueCall (or any other telephone device) from the phone line, as if it had been actually plugged/unplugged. This is also useful when talking to providers when there are line test issues and they want to remove, say, the microfilter. The design incorporates the ability to remotely control it via any of the lines that connect to it. I'm still testing it, but when I've done that, I'll post details here.

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I shouldn't think it's very difficult, a 4-pole double-throw switch or relay would do the job, but that's pretty much what the trueCall does internally when the power is off anyway so I recommend a remote control mains socket adapter (available very cheaply, and off-the-shelf instead of having to make something).

The problem of remembering that the trueCall is off remains.

4. Hixoratums

Hixoratums New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    "I shouldn't think it's very difficult, a 4-pole double-throw switch or relay would do the job" - OK, you are on the right track, but do you think that ordinary, non-technical people would be able to do it? If so, you don't know much about ordinary people! Moreover, there are hurdles, which, when you are designing this for any foreseeable use, not just for trueCall, or any country and to make sure that it doesn't cause problems with the phone system, that you, I suspect from that statement, may not have thought of. Instead of me offering this as a product, in the form of a ready-made unit, or a kit, why don't you post the simple circuit diagram? That way, people can make one themselves.

"The problem of remembering that the trueCall is off remains." I've got it covered.

This device will be available to anyone who can see that they might need it, but availability will depend on how many people would be happy switching it off, vs buying a piece of kit that 'just does it'. The problem as I see it, is one of market research, because it will cost me to make PCB and so if there is no interest, then there will be no solution offered. I will, of course, personally be using my more elegant solution, which won't require me to wait while trueCall reboots, or that uses a mains socket, which another person may switch off unintentionally.

trueCall's R&D should, ultimately take note of this thread and consider including a DTMF series and some code changes that will isolate the device - that's the best way of doing it, as "The problem of remembering that the trueCall is off" could be handled in firmware. But people are very protective of 'their baby' - I get it, so it I realise that it probably won't happen.

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Let's face it: the best solution would be for the trueCall unit itself to have a key code which puts it into defeat mode for a defined period of time. But failing that, you just turn it off.

If you think there is a market for your device, by all means have a go - but I suspect the market isn't as great as you think.