1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Unable to record

Discussion in 'trueCall Classic' started by gutt3d, Dec 19, 2017.

1. gutt3d

gutt3d New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    United Kingdom
    Anyone able to help with this one? I've got a pretty old machine - I'd say getting on for 10 years (if that makes any difference) - the warranty expired in 2010. I bought the SD card upgrade to enable Recorder functionality. I'm pretty sure I've used it once before, but not recorded anything in many years. Today I want to record something, and find that I can't get it to record anything.

In course of my tinkering, I've stumbled on a thread entitled: "constant-blue-plus-fast-flashing-red" (unable to create the link, as this is my first post) due to the fact that the TC light is now flashing as described in that thread.

I don't know what the capacity of the card is - it was the original card that was supplied with the upgrade package, whatever that is/was. I tried switching the card write-enable lock (just in case) but then TC tells me that the card is write protected. Initially it was warning me that I had 22 mins remaining even though the card is empty - so I've followed instructions in Tips & Tricks to reset and now I no longer get the warning message, though the light is still flashing per the link I posted.

In the Internet Control Panel, I want to set the card to record only when I press the button - however I've tried both possible settings (and re-synchronised each time) and the TC doesn't record anything regardless of which option I enable.

The card is empty - there's nothing on it, not even the original software that was supplied (I moved it somewhere "safe" and now I can't find it! Can I download it from anywhere?! I'm using Win10 on this new laptop - the software was once installed on an old XP laptop, long since gone!)
    Whatever is happening, the TC knows that the card isn't write protected.
    I put the card into my laptop and Win10 wanted to scan and fix it, so I let it try - but no problems found (that's how I know the card is empty).

Any ideas how I can get it to record?
    Will any old SD card work - should I try a different card?
    While searching these boards I've seen mention of "going into System options to see how much space is left" but I don't see that option in the Internet Control Panel - am I missing something?

Here are the unit and macro versions info from the Control Panel:
    Runtime Version
    Macro Version

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

2. gutt3d

gutt3d New Member

trueCall Model:
    United Kingdom
    FWIW, I've removed the SD card and the blue/red flashing light stops - maybe the card isn't in good shape (??) or maybe the TC doesn't like the card anymore. The card is the original one I got from True Call when I bought the upgrade to change my TC into a Recorder.

Does anyone know if the Windows software is available for download anywhere, and if so will it work on Win10? If not, then I gather the files are just WAV format so I can maybe play them direct from the card... ? And finally - does anyone know whether the cards are "special" in any way; could I just buy a standard one from Amazon (for example) and use that to see if I can get my TC to record?

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    The card has to be specially prepared to be compatible, and I'm not sure whether it is a DIY job with the Windows software that is used to manage recordings. I've never looked into it, so anything you find out will be useful information.

4. gutt3d

gutt3d New Member

trueCall Model:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you, Top Cat. I think a call to Tech Support is in order to find out if I can get a download of the software (I assume they can check/verify that I have already paid for the upgrade, so hopefully they will provide the software again for me). That way I can re-prepare the card and see if I can get it to work again.

If I can get it working, I'll report back here.

Thanks again.