1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

trueCall Zaplist Aggregated from all users?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Henchard, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henchard

Henchard New Member

Hi bought a trueCall for my Mother in Law which works great although I look after it remotely for her via trueCall control.

It would be great if trueCall anonymously collected everyone's Zap list data and where the same number turns up more than say five times it is the amalgamated into a master list. If users wanted (by having a tick box in the trueCall control panel) this list could be downloaded and added to the users zap list at synchronisation time.

Hope someone else sees what I'm getting at!

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I see what you're getting at, but I am unconvinced at the moment. I think it would have to be very much an opt in.

Welcome to the forum.

3. Henchard

Henchard New Member

Which is why I said having a tick box (to opt in). It seems a big waste of a good resource to have loads of data about spammers and not be able to take advantage of it - if individuals want it.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The problem I have with it is that the typical zap action is the caller doesn't get through, even to answering. I don't think I would be prepared to block every incoming call that somebody else had deemed dodgy - I might be doing business with Everest, for example. That leads to having to review the imported zap list, and it all gets rather messy.

Then there is the question of corporate responsibility. It's one thing an individual deciding to block all calls from specific businesses, possibly acting perfectly legally, and completely another level for trueCall to sanction mass blocking.

I agree with your sentiments, but in my view the practicalities would be tricky. I see no reason you couldn't get together with like-minded individuals to share zap lists, there are forums for that sort of thing and the trueCall control panel itself links to whocallsme.com.

5. Henchard

Henchard New Member

Personally I'm more than happy to add all numbers that a number of people deem as pests. If I do want to deal with one specific company I can work round that!

Corporate responsibility? I don't see much corporate responsibility from these pests. As long as people have the option to opt in where is the problem?

Sharing zap lists is cumbersome and more prone to errors as the data does not have the statistical credibility of the large sample that would be available from all users. A statistician could easily come up with an algorithm for such a large sample to give a very good statistical likelihood of a particular number being from a spammer. It would then be down to individuals if they want to use the list created.

On a technical point if (regarding Zap lists) can anyone tell me if I have all numbers from a particular dialling code added to my zap list e.g. 01234* does the addition of a number with the same dialling code to my star list override it? i.e. is priority given to a star list number over a zap list number?

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Individual number specifications take priority over wild cards. Individual zap and star are mutually exclusive so are at equal priority.

7. Sandstone

Sandstone New Member

When I look at my calls in the Control Panel online and see ones I wish to "Zap" in the future, because they are known Spam type companies, I then click the edit button. Having given them a name for future reference (they may be a PPI company etc) I then choose the 'save to Zap list' option. However the option to store the name on the trueCall disappears. How do I get this stored on the trueCall and stop them at source in future?

8. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    Hi Sandstone.
    There are limits to how many saved names you can have.
    Is there a reason why you would want to save the name of a zapped caller. The zapped caller does not come through to you so you would not see it on your phones caller display anyway. If you have edited the call to show the name it would show up in the logs in the dashboard.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Actually, there is an option to send the zapped number CLI to the phone.

10. Sandstone

Sandstone New Member

Hi Top Cat

Could you explain how please?

Thanks

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    This is very annoying - I'm sure I have seen it, but now cannot find it. Words to the effect:

"Pass through the CLI of blocked calls. May cause some types of phone to produce a brief ring"

Or am I imagining it?

12. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    I haven't seen that, and can't find it now..

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  14. Catmac

Catmac New Member

I'm all for zaplists for people to download. Its easy enough for people to go throough them and un zap or delete those they want to change.
    I think its important for people to keep a check on those zap calls (names of companies). If they persist then people need to report them on the number of calls and what time they call etc.. I hope people dont just block the number without trying to put a name. I think its important this forum help trueCall users with their zap lists.

15. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.