1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

trueCall Classic in a Dementia Household

Discussion in 'trueCall Care' started by Top Cat, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have been using the original trueCall to protect a dementia household from unscrupulous sales practices. The person concerned was likely to agree to almost anything over the phone, or be indiscreet with personal information, so call filtering was highly desirable.

The trueCall was set up with a star list of friends who might call, and to divert any other calls (including calls with no CLI) directly to messaging. I was then able to review messages and decide whether they needed any follow-up (sometimes to add to the star list, sometimes to contact back, but usually to ignore and delete!).

The call logging on the trueCall (accessed via the web Control Panel) also enabled me to see who had been calling and when, and who the patient had been dialling (or usually failing to dial) and to help.

The trueCall unit itself was kept out of sight, so that flashing lights would not attract any attention. This made it a little inconvenient to notice there was a message waiting (signalled by the big light flashing red), but needs must.

I will be interested to see how the trueCall Care is tailored to the situation, but my dementia needs are past since the patient is now resident in a home. The trueCall still provides good service though - getting rid of several nuisance calls a day!

2. Catmac

Catmac New Member

Hi Top Cat,

Yes we had an elderly aunt who lived on her own. She was a bit confused and we keep having to sort her utilities contracts out. She kept speaking to 'companies' and agreeing by phone to change her account, without her really understanding. They would chage her details, a real nightmare to sort out.
    It's a wrong law that allows agreement by phone especially for the elderly and vulnerable. Hopefully in time with the likes of trueCall and forums like this the public and put pressure on gov' to change these rules. I would recommend trueCall for those worried about their family and friends with dementia, alzheimers.

3. Catmac

Catmac New Member

Just to add the call recording feature is very useful in these cases. You can hear what was said and agreed or otherwise. I would recommend recording all calls especially unknown numbers, international etc.
    I'm sure that many cold callers on hearing that their call's are being recorded give up or at least watch what they actually say.

4. paula4u

paula4u New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    I have a similar problem at home, the trueCall classic unit was ok, when the offer of a free upgrade for a trueCall care unit came it was working ok until I had fibre optic broadband installed the unit will simply not link and I had constant link failed comments which is no use to me at all and I have now given up and reinstalled the old unit. I did advise them and I got the bog standard answers no good to me at all. I have installed the old trueCall unit now and set it up with lights flashing loud answer phone monitoring etc.. to see how my partner is coping as I noticed from the past it ran almost silent. We shall see, but the trueCall care unit is now laying back in its box as the modem seems to be faulty. Its an essential piece of equipment and with scrupulous sales people I have to protect my household, I only hope my children will be there for me if this is ever needed for me, hopefull in 20 years we have better systems. I have also set up IP camera's with permission of the person while he was still "clever" what once was a very intelligent person is now a shadow but it doesnot stop us caring and loving them and supporting them anyway we can. trueCall classic is essential in my lifestyle.

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    If the old unit continues to weblink OK despite the broadband issue, there must be something wrong with the Care unit, which should be replaced. I'm not sure what the advantage would be though.

6. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    If you look at the comparison table https://www.trueCall.co.uk/trueCall-versions.aspx or download and peruse the manuals, specifically page #3 of the trueCall Care Manual, you should see that the trueCall Care is the only model capable of selectively blocking outgoing calls.

Also a Question what is the model no. printed on the bottom of a trueCall Care ?
    (possibly is it TC4? and TC5? for the in-development Slumber)