1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

trueCall and the NHS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bib1, Dec 1, 2014.

1. bib1

bib1 New Member

trueCall Model:
    Considering purchase
    UK
    I've just joined your forum to ask how the NHS deals with calling a trueCall device.

The background is that I look out for some folk who are vulnerable to spam calls.
    We employ various call-blocking techniques to try and protect them but the NHS is always a problem.

I understand that, for privacy reasons, the NHS are not allowed to identify their calls. So all calls from a doctor or hospital will show as ‘Unavailable’ or ‘Withheld’. If a trueCall device challenges an NHS caller, they are not allowed to identify themselves and will ring-off without leaving a message.

This means doctors etc will not be able to contact these folk.

All help, suggestions, stories gratefully considered.

PS
    Thanks to Top Cat for getting me started.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    That's very interesting, thanks for flagging it up.

There is one relevant post that I recall (but can't find right now) - by giving services your phone number as "1470 xxxxxx" it un-withholds the caller ID for that call. Another option is to set up a break-through code and make sure anybody who might have to call has it in their notes.

3. bib1

bib1 New Member

trueCall Model:
    Considering purchase
    UK
    Thanks Top Cat.

Your ideas would be good for an individual caller, such as a regular nurse or carer calling from a mobile.
    I already know of nurses and some surgery receptionsists who know the patient and are happy to 'break' the rules by leaving a message.

The problem lies with the impersonal contacts such as hospital switchboards and centralised, call-centre-based NHS booking units.

They probably wouldn't get a BT prefix through the switchboard software and even if they did, they'd see it as breaking their privacy rules.
    Same with a VIP code - having a code doesn't mean they know who they're talking to.

I was really hoping that some of your members may have actually come across the problem is practice.

Thanks again and I'll keep watching the thread just in case.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I agree this is a significant problem, and one for which I can think of no solution (even if trueCall modified the unit). I think what is needed is a policy for official callers (government, NHS, etc) not to withhold numbers, and even better for them to have a unique set of codes which identified them to the recipient (protected from spoofing by severe penalty).

trueCall can still help reduce (although not eliminate) nuisance calls. Many nuisance calls do come in with a CLI, and these can be blocked once they have been called the first time. There is also a "community block list" which can be downloaded to the individual trueCall unit which is an amalgamation of commonly blocked numbers from other trueCall units (that are subscribed to the service).

You can of course also block incoming calls that do have CLIs but are not on your star list, I star my local STD codes and a few others, plus individual numbers outside those. Individual numbers within the starred STD codes can also be zapped.

5. Belligerent Barbara

Belligerent Barbara Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    What about using Shield rather than Whisper for withheld numbers? Pressing a button doesn't identify the caller - NHS staff might be willing to do that.

6. Hixoratums

Hixoratums New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    The NHS can remove their Number Withheld status, but it varies from department to department - I have to be in contact with them a lot nowadays, unfortunately. If they put your number in ahead of the call to you (I'm not privy to how they actually do that), it makes the call proceed normally. The problem is that you'll talk to people with varying degrees of competency/privileges with the NHS call handling systems.
    I'm working on creating a device that can physically switch Call Blocker out of the line, that can be controlled remotely (think a "Call Blocker Disable" button). This will also be useful for line testing purposes. I'll post progress in this forum.

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  8. Hixoratums

Hixoratums New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Thanks for the link Top Cat, I had seen it.
    The NHS is like a giant elephant and we are like tiny flies - it wouldn't hear anything that we have to say, unfortunately. The trueCall company is already achieving that too-big-to-listen status too, I suspect. Until they do listen, we have to try our best to solve these problems for ourselves. I will solve this problem for myself, for sure. If enough people think that my solution is for them, then I'll see what can be offered.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The reason for my posting the link is that I, and likewise the moderators of most forums I frequent, don't like one conversation being spread over multiple topics.