1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

The Sound of Silence ...

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by cambrensis, Jun 3, 2013.

1. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Welshman in England!
    I've been up and running for a little while now; of course I timed it carefully so that all coincided with the server problem, which was rectified soon afterwards, I was glad to see. I've heard of "The Silent Service" before...in a different context of course! :D

Corner shelves are fitted for the various bits, an anti-surge extension used so I may ignore the odd, and very rare, thunderstorm and there is also space for my backup 'phone, also DECT enabled, to be used in the event of failure of my main DECT system, from whatever cause.

I may now sit back, relax and wait...and wait...and wait!
    Typically, with the exception of my test calls, there have been no 'phone calls at all today so far! :lol:

2. Roger

Roger Moderator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    Silence is Golden! I never know how many Cold Callers have been deterred without logging in via the web interface. Most of them seem to give up as soon as they hear the announcement to say their name. I then mark them as 'zapped' and usually the same ones try a couple of times over the next few days and then disappear to harass someone else.

3. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Good morning! Yes...this struck me as a possibility, so I checked a few minutes ago. Alice is now extremely curious as I was informed that the last weblink had occurred yesterday afternoon and was manual. That is correct as it occurred during setting up and checking period.

Oddly, there had been no overnight update, which is what I had scheduled - not another hiccough with the server base surely?

I have just done a manual link which now shows that a scheduled link took place at 2:16 a.m. I see ... :rofl:

So to see the manual link I just made I shall have to make another link! Ye gods and little fishes! Ah! That's the one in the top right corner, so it has registered it but...hmmm, how unexpected! I suppose it "moves down" at next login. Well...misgivings dispelled so far as the linking goes.

So...after all that, it looks as though it so happened that yesterday was a quiet day, and there simply were no calls. It comes to something when I'm hoping that the 'phone rings so that my mind may be put at rest! :)

4. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    I really do not believe this! Yet another totally silent day and not because trueCall was doing its job - the poor thing had no job to do! (I am being very magnanimous here, as another possibility crosses my mind!) I'm becoming so paranoid that I'm on the verge of 'phoning a few people myself and asking them to call me back, but this might be construed as nuisance calling! :rofl:

Ah well...if nothing today, I shall be investigating further, but for now I shall live with my paranoia! :crazy: (I will not talk to myself...I will not...)

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    ...to the funny farm, with trees and flowers and twittering birds, and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes; they're coming to take me away ha ha

6. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    :) Normally, I'd consider this sheer bliss and would be getting on with things. Luckily I am able to rationalise my unrest and laugh at myself! I'm assuming, of course, that if someone had 'phoned and been put off by the message, whether friend or foe, the call would still register...Yes, of course it would. :whistle:

7. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Success! A few minutes ago the 'phone rang and told me there was a phone call from....silence...hmmm! The blighter had cut and run - cad! Checked with "whothedevilisitdotcom" and apparently a well known PPI worrier. Wondering if it's Philip Philip Marlowe....:sleuth: !

Anyway, he has been blocked, sorry "zapped" if I must use an Americanism, and I am now happy, certain in the knowledge that the system is working. So I'll stop burbling in here and get back to what I should be doing! :yahoo:

8. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Well - (and this is my final final tour in this thread) - I've had my trueCall for nearly a fortnight now and it is working beautifully; I may even propose to it! Earlier this afternoon it blocked some idiot, and has just allowed through a friend who rings, perhaps, once in a month!

Yayy! This thing works!!! :supercool:

9. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    Strange I've only had 1 telepest try to ring me this month (1 June - ICM Research) and at least they are good enough to publish the 2 caller_IDs they use on their website.

Maybe some of them are finally taking notice of the alerts (and possibly fines) they get when they call people on the TPS, which of course is managed by the DMA the telepest's representative body rather than OFCOM or the ICO who initiate the fines process.

10. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Well when I bought my trueCall, I suddenly thought I'd better sign up to TPS as well...only to find I had done so two years ago! Speaks volumes!

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    shouldn't make promises you can't keep!

12. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    England
    Now if you were to lock the thread, you could help keep the promise :devil:

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    :duel:

(best smilie of the lot!)

14. Bright spark

Bright spark New Member

trueCall Model:
    United Kingdom
    I am enjoying the silence from telepests and debt people who have wrong number think I am the person they want to bully & threaten shocking in one day I had 23 calls from one company until I purchased this little bute trueCall device and hey presto only callers who I want to talk to now get through Silence is very Golden and peace on earth.

15. Roger

Roger Moderator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    I still have the occasional telepest call but they usually hang up during screening. Unfortunately it doesn't deter them much and call agin either the same day or within the following week.
    Name and Shame Them
    The one's who are persistent at the moment are
    08432274323 who I believe are Quote Me Today Insurance (don't need a quote so wonder where they got my number as I never use it on comparison web sites).
    01213719452 who I believe is someone called Mackenzie Hall Debt Collectors (as far as I know I don't have any debts as I have no loans or a mortgage). Others seem to have received nuisance calls from them too according to 'who calls me' website. Although they have a Birmingham number they seem to be based in Kilmarnock.

16. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    This should be in the Telepests section.