1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

The Blank that never was...

Discussion in 'Internet Control Panel (ICP)' started by cambrensis, Jul 10, 2013.

1. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Welshman in England!
    I was working busily some 20 minutes ago when the phone rang. I answered and pressed 1; I spoke - but the caller had hung up. I looked and found it to be an 0800 number. My immediate thought was that this was one of the usual nuisance calls, so I entered the number into my clustering engine only to find it was a call from a company with whom I do business from time to time.

I next did a Weblink so that I might give the number access in future. In the past I've not noticed which number they use. To my surprise there was no number listed although my 'phone had read it. The legend was: "Blank caller-ID message / Whisper / Connected". The only thing that seems to be amiss is that the caller had appended the digit 2 to the actual number, as though this gave him access to an external line and that since this would be non-standard, then trueCall could not read it. Does anybody know if my surmise is correct?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Is that "2" appended to the CLI the phone recorded?

3. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Yes it is. Sorry I did not make that clear.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    0800 numbers are not all the same length, I find.

5. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    All 'new' ones are 10 digits i.e. 0800+7digits, though existing 9 digit ones are still in use. Same applies to 0808 and 0500

6. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    I make 0800+7digits=11 ;) (which is what this company has as a freephone number on its website. There is an additional 2 added according to my Panasonic DECT 'phones.

If I dial the 11 digit number, adding a 2 when offered a selection, I am connected to the section which is concerned with delivery. On reflection, this is what I was being contacted about, so the extra digit refers to the extension.

7. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    In National Numbering Plans terms, as used by OFCOM, previously BT, and before that the General Post Office (not that the term "National Numbering Plan" had not been coined yet, at that GPO stage) the leading "0" does not count, since "00", "010", "011" can in the appropriate case, be used to get system access. Remember if you store a phone no as +441234567890 in a mobile and it will connect correctly anywhere in the world, (international billing allowed and cellular signal permitting, or even an Inmarsat or Iridium phone). Discovered while researching this: The IsatPhone Pro (£468) and Iridium 9555 (£894) are in the same ballpark as iPhones and Galaxy S4's and the Delorme InReach (£189) could make your iPhone/Android independent of cellular networks, (amazon prices July 2013) .

This is part of the technical reason why you should NOT format nos "+44 (0) 1234 567890" but (ideally without any spaces) +44 123 456 7890 although (+44) 1234 567890 is also acceptable, (after OCR a machine would dial the spurious "0"), however the human eye/brain tends to give up when presented with groups of more than 5, many people can remember a 6 digit number as a phone number, when the brain is triggered "PHONE NO" (then you come back and have to think, **** what's the area code?), it is always easier to break a 7 digit local no into a 3+4 grouping.

Blocks of these numbers are often referred to by block letters, as sabcdefghi., and number blocks are allocated to telephone service providers in 1000 or 10000 blocks

A PDF (37 pages) of the UK "The National Telephone Numbering Plan" is at http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/numbering/numbering-plan201212.pdf and the data downloads various TXT(.txt - delimited text files, most databases and many spreadsheets can import them), excel(.xls) and zip files at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm the biggie: codelist.zip is ~1.8 MB

As a flavour:
    The first 2 records of s1_code.txt (15.4 MB, 15139408 characters, 277105 records) so it won't open in less powerful text editors) are:
    "SABC","DE","FG","Status","Date","Communications Provider","Number Length","Change","Notes"
    "1130","00","","Allocated","","Virgin Media Limited","(0)+10","15/06/2000",
    First 2 records of sabc.txt are:
    "Code","D/DE","Status","Use","Notes","Date"
    "1130",,"Designated","Leeds National Dialling","3 Digit Area Code",""

These files can give you a lot of information about the telephone system,
    eg who are the 118xxx providers, and their varying charges.
    who are the wholesalers behind all those 07xxx, 08xxx and 09xxx numbers
    which provider has to be contacted by PhonePay Plus to pull that scam SMS scheme. :D

cambrensis and Top Cat like this.
  8. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Very interesting dB1! Part of my brain is still working with pulses and the days of "back-dialling", so I was ignoring the obvious here.

I'll have look at the files you mention this weekend; looks fascinating.

I have some thoughts about numerical grouping (and Merriam Webster, too) but shall take them to the Village Pump as much is language based.

9. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    It should be possible to estimate the length of the break and put in a number of timed breaks in and get there without having to wait, but that won't always work as PABX switches are notorious for taking their time to process signals.

10. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    It probably came from them calling you back, using a PABX recall of the last caller, similar to the well known 1471 service.

May even have used a PABX short code **1471 (or similar) finally ending with a #, after the PABX told the delivery department, the callerID, to initiate dialling.

11. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!

Damn! Appears to be so with 0845 numbers too. Another number unlogged by trueCall but logged by my 'phone, so not possible to star it. I wonder if I dial it without the final 1 whether I may then register the number whatever the extension. Added costs and a headache...think I'll have a lie down!:wallbash:

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    You could enter it via the ICP could you not, to save the dialling out?

When I want to check numbers, I do it late at night to be in my inclusive calls allowance and to minimise the risk of somebody picking it up. A "business closed" recorded message is good enough to confirm who's at the other end!

13. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    :) Well, all national numbers are included at any hour of the day or night so far as my system is concerned; and unfortunately the number belongs to a c.ompany that has a switchboard manned for 24 hours. As the company did need to be updated about something, I rang them. They took the information but were unable to find why I was being 'phoned by them. Interestingly, when I simply recalled the 0845 number using my 'phone, trueCall faithfully registered exactly what had been dialled, which included the extension number. So trueCall missed it when incoming, but when I hit it back over the net managed to read it.

Thinking back to what dB1 said about timing with PABX, this may very well be the reason. If anybody remembers the "Mercury" button of yesteryear, I had to experiment with the timing on that before it would work properly I'll have to wait to see what happens next time the company rings me.