1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Telepests From Local Area

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by boswell, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Wikipedia ????

This is at best a paraphrase of the truth, at worst a parody.
    It should come with a special offer "Free pinch of salt for all readers"

2. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    Spoofing Local Numbers - any suggestions please.

I have starred my local area code with a wild card (01724*) so as to permit all local callers.

This worked well until recently, but I am now getting cold callers bounced off a local number of some sort. They always begin with 63. This is a suite of numbers issued by Nexbridge who must use them deliberately to short circuit trueCall. So I simply zapped 0172463*

Problem :- I got a call from 01724637762 which was passed as it was bulk starred on the first line before trueCall got to the second line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Please quote the post you are referring to (click the "reply" button) when replying - otherwise the context of what you are writing is hard to follow!

Wikipedia is a valuable resource - don't throw it out with the bathwater. As with all things on-line though, it should be cross-checked before being taken as gospel.

I'm glad you posted in this topic; trying to figure out whether your post was apropos or random reminded me I have not yet updated the Jargon Buster.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Dunno - presumably you need to have the zap line higher up the priority list than the star line. Delete the star line then re-add it?

5. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    Do you know a that a company called Nexbridge (you can find them with a Google search) hold a range of local numbers in all geographic codes. Then then bounce incoming sales nuisances off these numbers so that you think you are receiving a local call. You cannot zap them out with a wild card if you star all locals. Example, my local code is 01724, so I pass 01724* enabling hospital, doctors and all sorts of genuine local callers to get through. So Nexbridge use the range 01724 637xxx which I cannot stop by zapping 01724637* because Star takes priority over Zap.

What is worse is that, according to their own web site, Nexbridge can monitor mobile and home phone lines in real time (they call it validation) and can then inform call centres when your line is active (called number-validator on their web site). If you get a nuisance call from a "local" number, and think this is wrong why not write and tell them, Heather Dunk (Accounts Manager) 61 Oxford Street, Manchester, M1 6EQ

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    What works for me is starring local STD codes and then zapping individual numbers within those ranges. The difference is that I don't/haven't needed to zap sub-ranges.

7. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    Yes, I have done just that. The problem is that there are 1000 numbers beginning 01724 637. If you zap one, they just call you from a different one. I complained to Nexbridge but was met with a flurry of apathy.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Clearly we could do with a tweak to the way the trueCall works, to enable zap ranges within star ranges (and maybe vice versa).

These people shouldn't be calling you at all if you are registered with the TPS, so that is another possible avenue for complaint (and one with teeth these days).

9. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    I am indeed registered with TPS and have complained to them ad nauseam. I have never actually got anywhere as callers are always "exempt" from TPS because they are "not selling", just conducting a survey to see if I want to buy. It sounds silly but that is exactly what they say.

To come back to reality, I have now made a formal complaint to the Information Commissioners Office , about the calling company "National Workers Office" and the network operator Nexbridge.

Watch this space.

10. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    Nextbrige only provide communication services to their clients, they are not the call originators. Further, there are many firms that provide their own local number ranges for temporary or permanent allocation, invariably VOIP outbound calling from call centres, where the number presented is transient.

There is little you can do to prevent these calls arriving as they are effectively disposable, and ready for the next client to use - often within minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Ian022

Ian022 New Member

UK
    There are many dozens of telecoms companies that hold blocks of numbers within every geographic area code, not least BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin as well as a number of VoIP providers.

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I did! http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/pestering-myself.487/

I've had an idea: I wonder whether the 1471 service logs the "real" call origin rather than any potentially spoofed CLI.