1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Star Listed numbers not being directed to phone

Discussion in 'Internet Control Panel (ICP)' started by failedmuso, Jul 4, 2020.

1. failedmuso

failedmuso New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone!

I have just bought a trueCall Secure device for my elderly mother in law as she was getting increasing numbers of scam calls.

I set it up today and it worked exactly as it said it would out of the box, answering calls and requesting callers to select 1 on their keypad if they were friends or family. I then signed up for the ICP service which went without a hitch and I proceeded to add all her friends, family and essential numbers into a Star list. This was a total of 25 numbers.

I saved this data in the ICP and then performed a Weblink to sync the data with the trueCall device.

To test this, I then called my mother in law's phone from my mobile device, the number of which was stored on the Star list. And this is where my problem is. On my mobile device, I get the standard ringing tone, but my mother in law's landline does not ring at all. I let the call continue to ring but nothing comes through. However, if I pick up my mother in law's phone and press the call answer button, even though the phone isn't ringing, it connects the call.

I then tried calling by obscuring my number using 141. When I did this, the call is answered by the device and I am asked to identify myself by saying my name after the tone and pressing hash. My call is then sent to the landline and when answered, the device introduces me and asks me to select 1 to accept the call.

I have tested all connections and everything checks out. It just seems that when I have the Star list activated, the device does not pass the call through to the phone directly as it says it should.

From a technical perspective, Caller ID is switched on and active on the line, which is provided by BT and apart from the cordless DECT phone (3 handset system), the only other thing connected to the phone line is my mother in law's emergency call button system. I have tried the trueCall with this both connected and disconnected and get the same results.

I have also tried calling from other Star listed phones and get the same results.

So, for now, I have left the device switched on with no Star list, which means that all callers have to identify themselves before being passed through. This gives her the increased protection, but ideally I want the device to do what it says it should and pass Star listed calls straight through.

Apologies for the long-winded explanation, but until trueCall open up again on Monday, I thought I'd try and tap into the hive mind here to see if this is a known issue, if it is me doing something wrong or if my device is faulty.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Rob.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    What is the model of the phone? Some particular phones are known not to work well with the trueCall, but I think a support call to trueCall Towers might be able to resolve it.

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/bt-phone-not-ringing.171/

There are several things which confuse me about your scenario though. Are you saying the phone rings after completing whisper, but does not ring for a star caller?

3. failedmuso

failedmuso New Member

trueCall Model:
    United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. She has a Panasonic KX-TGC223E cordless DECT phone (3 handsets) which I believe is only two or three years old as she bought it when she moved into this house. The baffling thing is that everything works as expected until you add numbers to the Star list. Only then does the unit seem to not pass them through to the phone. What is more confusing is that if you click on the phone's answer button, even though it is not ringing or showing anything on the display, it connects the call.

Yes, the phone rings after completing whisper, but not for any caller on the Star list.

I will be on the phone to trueCall first thing in the morning and I will report back any findings.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    No resolution yet?

5. failedmuso

failedmuso New Member

trueCall Model:
    United Kingdom
    Many apologies! I've no idea where the week has gone!

So, the issue was resolved straight away on Monday. The reason I was given is that my mother in law's house has FTTP (Fibre to the Property... lucky git!) and because of the differences in the line supply, the trueCall box required an internal reconfiguration done from the back end to make it compatible. The agent I spoke with, who was incredibly helpful, said they were aware of this and had plans to update the manual accordingly. I assume, therefore, that the fix performed was something that could be done by the end user, but I couldn't say what it was as the agent took care of it all.

Once he had made this fix, which took a matter of a few seconds, and then performed a Weblink, the box was working perfectly and everything is tickety-boo! :)

Hopefully, this will help any other users installing a trueCall device on a line supplied via FTTP.

Top Cat likes this.
  6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I think not, but at least you're sorted.