1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Spoofing UK numbers

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by David Birds, Aug 12, 2015.

1. David Birds

David Birds New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Dear All,

I'm seeing an increasing number of International numbers which are spoofing UK numbers, so on my BT caller display box they appear as "International 01725XXXXXX" for instance.

The problem I have is that the 01*** CLI which is presented seems to override the international flag and the True Call Blocker allows the call through. I have a rule to generically allow 01* 02* numbers through and then I Zap telepests.

I've temporarily removed the 01* and 02* rules, but I ended up blocking a legitimate call from a Hemel Hempstead number the other week. I contacted trueCall support to suggest that the fact the call is flagged as International should override anything else and be treated as Shield and Whisper as per my International control panel settings as all genuine international calls should be prefixed 00* anyway.

trueCall said that having the 01* rule is unusual anyway, but I think the international flag should be prioritised. There may be a reason why the trueCall unit does it this way, but it is a bit of a pain at the moment.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Cheers,

David

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes, I have seen similar in my call logs.

I'm not sure it would be straightforward for the current trueCall units to do anything about what you have in mind, as the screening is entirely keyed on the CLI. If you want to know more about originating and display CLIs, and why the one does not equate to the other (for entirely legitimate reasons) see:

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/telepests-from-local-area.245/

3. David Birds

David Birds New Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Thanks Top Cat, that makes interesting reading. Telepests are getting ever more creative with their CLI. I'm surprised they are allowed to do that, as a previous company I worked for I had a couple of ISDN 30's installed and I wanted to present DDI's rather than the main number and BT wouldn't allow that. Obviously there is a way of doing it, but I didn't have the wherewithal to sort it out then.

Just out of interest is there a way of intercepting a call which is being screened? I tried to pick up the call I mentioned from Hemel Hempstead and the unit just announced "screening a call" please wait. Having to set the trueCall to accept all calls when you know you have a call of unknown origin coming through but you need to take it is a bit of a pain.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  5. the-gog

the-gog New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Wales
    Probably on a related note, I'm starting to get calls from CLIs presented as UK STD plus 5 (where UK mobiles and landline numbers are presented as code + 6). This is one number from my recent logs: 01689 92219 (note that 92219 is five digits and not six). Is there any way that trueCall call reject 01234 56789 (for instance) numbers but still let 01234 567890 through?

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I very much doubt it. :(

7. the-gog

the-gog New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Wales
    Another one I've had ring today: 01439 46299

8. Ian022

Ian022 New Member

UK
    Not all UK telephone numbers have ten digits after the leading '0' or '+44'.

There are numerous areas which have numbers which are one digit shorter.

9. the-gog

the-gog New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Wales
    You see, the problem is that all the spam calls I currently get are STD+5, so it would be really helpful to have the option for such numbers to be given NU by my trueCall unit, just as I have done for International calls.

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    "NU"? Or am I just being dim?

11. the-gog

the-gog New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Wales
    Number Unobtainable. From trueCall's website (I'm not allowed to put a link to trueCall's website on here, as trueCall thinks it's spam):

"trueCall can even play the unobtainable tone so the call centre thinks that you have moved – this encourages them to delete your number from future campaigns"

12. Ian022

Ian022 New Member

UK
    NU = Number Unobtainable.

It is not possible for a subscriber to generate this tone. It is generated by the telecoms company when the caller has dialled a number that does not exist.

13. Rinansay

Rinansay Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    NU = Number unobtainable, I guess. I've set the call handling for international calls to "Block with unobtainable tone," just as the-gog seems to have done.

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    (The above repetition is because the posters are/were still in their probationary period. Posting links will become allowed when they transition from "New Member" to "Member" - for more details see http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/forum-member-privileges.140/#post-650. It's not what trueCall thinks is spam, it's how the forum software has been configured - and we are not trueCall - and I assure you we get a great deal of spam that the normal member never sees.)

Of course it is. The equipment at the subscriber end of the line (ie the trueCall unit) just picks up the call and imitates the signal.

15. Ian022

Ian022 New Member

UK
    Ah, yes. The trueCall unit can quickly answer the call before the caller has had the chance to hear any ringing tone and play a copy of the NU tone. Understood, and this should have the same effect on the caller as a genuine NU tone.

16. martin

martin New Member

trueCall Model:
    I've just read TruCall's response (1) to the current Government CLI consultation (2) on amending PECR. I feel sure telco's could do more to tackle CLI spoofing. The issue should have been resolved by the ITU worskhop in 2014 (3) that mandated cross-border CLI should use E.164 format. However, there appears to be no enforcement of Recommendation ITU-T E.157 and, perhaps, Ofcom should require all UK incoming or outgoing international calls to comply with this?

(1) www.truecall38.co.uk/trueCall_response_to_DCMS_consultation_2016.pdf
    (2) www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491199/CLI_consultation_version__PDF_.pdf
    (3) www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/Workshops-and-Seminars/callerid/Pages/default.aspx

17. Millimole

Millimole New Member

trueCall Model:
    I've recently had a large number of these - and they were bypassing the Whisper on my trueCall Classic. I've added the 'press number 5' option as well for non-starred numbers, which seems to have stopped them.
    But - I'm confused as to why a 'short number' would be missed by the whisper - any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Ian022

Ian022 New Member

UK
    Top Cat likes this.
  19. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!