1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Spam Texts

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by Top Cat, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Not relevant to trueCall, but here's a tip I was unaware of until very recently:

The mobile operators have a spam text reporting system to which you can forward any spam texts you receive on your mobile phone. This means the ones that claim "according to our records you are owed £3600 for the accident/PPI misselling/whatever" or words to that effect. Texts received from organisations you have an existing relationship with are probably not strictly spam, but what the heck.

Never reply to spam, not even to text "STOP", because that confirms your mobile number is active when the spam was probably sent to a random number with no certainty of success. Instead, forward it to your operator:

O2/Orange/T Mobile - 7726 (spells SPAM)
    Vodaphone - 87726
    Three - 37726

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...8456/Martin-Lewis-how-to-stop-spam-texts.html
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/.../Plagued-junk-texts-Type-7726-fight-back.html

2. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    What they do not add is that this only works for short code numbers. If - as i suspect - it is a standard mobile number, then your spam report is junked (also automatically).

You need to fill out the spam text form on the ICO website.

- Raymond

3. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I had cause to use this today (I'm on O2) and it worked fine. The spam was forwarded to 7726, then they sent an automatic text back thanking me and asking for the name or number that sent it, and I texted back "WageLender" (as appeared in my received list) and then O2 thanked me again and said they are working to stop the nuisance to their customers.

Top marks.

4. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    I'm glad your satisfied, but I can assure you absolutely nothing will be done. I have not gone through every network and MVNO, but just like you I forwarded the number to 3UK's reporting line. 6 months later the same spam appeared and I escalated the complaint that how could this happen to a number I would now reasonably expect to be blocked or barred.

3 explained what I told you earlier - the reporting function is fully automated for short code numbers only as there is a mechanism to make these users accountable - not so with standard mobile numbers. These are invariably one shot PAYG SIM cards and the network cannot block these, especially if inbound from a different network.

The solution was to use the ICO's spam reporting system as this has the ability to draw together the disparate numbers used for different campaigns and link them and possibly even prosecuting the perpetrators. By all means use the network forwarding service, but this is needless busy work with no reports of any success in stopping spam except on short codes.

Alternatively - use the dedicated ICO service set up for just this purpose:-

https://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=138312369469

- Raymond

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I sympathise with what you are saying, but bear in mind that political pressure is increasing on the phone companies.

6. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    No need for sympathy - save that for the regulators. All you need to know is the matter cannot be resolved in the way you believe - for the reasons already explained. O2 are misleading you big time!

- Raymond

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Your understanding of the word "sympathise" is too narrow. I was not expressing sympathy in the manner you mean.