1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Complaints & Praise' started by Number Six, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Number Six

Number Six Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    I've heard True Call described as the Rolls Royce of call blockers. And I've read a number of reviews [not on this site] that are critical of the build quality of the True Call unit.

Sadly what's been delivered to me is completely unacceptable for a product that costs over a hundred quid -and unnecessary too. e.g:
    • The sound quality of the answering machine is poor and lacks any real clarity. My machine sounds exactly like the ten bob transistor radio I had when I was a lad.
    • The central button feels flimsy. It doesn't fit into the unit as snugly as it should. [It moves from side to side.] The button makes an unnerving cracking sound when I press it down and feels as if it's on its last legs.
    Is this just my machine? Or not?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I agree the sound quality isn't great, but that's hardly down to the construction. Button? Not sure. I have no complaints about the Classic in that respect.

The £100 you mention buys the knowledge, not just the parts. Functionally there is nothing to beat it, poor sound or not.

3. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    I have the original classic version - no problems at all with the blue button. I do agree however that the callers voice recorded sound is very poor. The reason I say this is because I just zapped someone this morning as I could not hear their recorded voice clearly and thought they said something other than actual! Fortunately I checked on the web and found their number - called them back and listed them on my Star list. But better sound would have prevented all that.

4. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    Actually it is the Rolls Royce of call blockers. Would you like tyo point out the "number of Reviews" and where we can see them. If it's Amazon then don't bother posting it because we ALL know the person.

If you can find a better call blocker that offers all that the trueCall does then good luck to you. There is only the other one the C** one, that offers only a fraction of trueCall's options. The only other things that can help are the new phones that have some blocking options. Again nowhere near as many as trueCall. Also when the phone breaks down so does the blocking options. You can use trueCall with any landline Phone or Voip.

Yes maybe sound quality is not Dolby Digital but hey what answerphone is. You also have the calling persons end to worry about when it comes to sound quality.

Maybe your central button is dodgy , have you reported it to the supplier... Mine here is perfectly okay so you might have a problem.

5. Number Six

Number Six Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Hello Toekneem,

Great to hear from you. Happy to accept what you write and grateful for your advice. Don't you think though it's just a shame that such a good product is compromised by something that I'm guessing shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Or would it? A decent answering machine is an important consideration for some people. Including me. That's our point of view and we're entitled to hold it [in my humble opinion]. Don't you think?

I shall get in touch with the helpful people at trueCall to go through some fixes that may identify whether my unit got damaged somehow in transit.

Take care

6. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Hi.
    No problem, you are entitled to your opinion.
    Remember the volume can be adjusted on the side of the unit. Also is the quality of the sound the same if you play back the voice file through the PC.

Certainly get in touch with trueCall if you think that the button is faulty, that should not be the case. Are you sure that it is not the normal movement of the button, left/right/press down etc. If it does have to go back the turnaround time is very fast.

Please let us know on the forums how you get on.

7. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Can I ask what the cost was then when you bought it. I understand that that model has been superseeded now by the 2000 model:
    http://www.telcom-data.com/products/TCR-2000.aspx now at $399 . Bit expensive.
    Trouble is trying to find something that is the best in every department and only costs a fiver, its a bit hard, so sometimes compromise comes into it;)

[edit] Forgot to say welcome to the forums Dwarf.

8. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Trouble is put the price of your 5* phone Voice recorder and add the price of the basic 5* trueCall and you have a great piece of equipment which falls far outside most peoples pockets for what they want.

It is about compromise, and I have to admit the Voice recorder does look good. But when it comes down to it, the trueCall for what it does and the price that it is available for is the best option. Far far better than the C*R and the new phones with limited blocking facilites.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    For reviewing recorded calls you need to use the utility to read the memory card on a PC.

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    In case a reader didn't know. One has to keep in mind that these conversations might be read by a wider audience.

Don't worry about that, it's the richness of Internet forums. I think of them as being like conversations down the pub.

11. FifthCat

FifthCat Member

trueCall Model:
    England's Lake District
    OK, so can I bring the discussion back to topic, please? I am facing a purchasing decision here.

TopCat seems to indicate that the sound quality is not due to the construction. So what is it? Compression algorithm? Can this be changed in a painless way such as new firmware for all the units that will be able to take it? This issue seems to be coming up again and again.

This generates more questions by the look of it:
    (1) is the allegedly poor sound quality in the design and serves better compression?
    (2) if the answer to (1) is 'yes' then can the design be changed? There are many suitable speech compression techniques around.
    (3) are the trueCall units firmware upgradeable?

Greetings from sunny Lakeland
    FC.

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The sound quality is tolerable if you are going to benefit from the main functionality - in which case there is nothing else that compares with a trueCall.

13. FifthCat

FifthCat Member

trueCall Model:
    England's Lake District
    Thank you. Now, you may not agree, but this does not really address my question.

Would you like to go to a restaurant, order steak and chips, and hear 'it does not matter that the chips are cold and raw, we make the best steak in town anyway' '? We are not talking about a free service here.

So are these reports on this Forum and in Amazon reviews exaggerated? Can someone persuade me otherwise? I really want to know.

All the best,
    FC

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's adequate. Why not just buy one and return it if you are not satisfied? - trueCall are very accommodating. I can't speak for the reports on Amazon, but the discussions on this Forum are deliberately critical - for the purpose of discussion.

The flexibility of call handling etc is way ahead of anything else available, and no it is not a valid comparison with a meal where the chips are cold. The problem here is that you have not used one. It's like being offered an Aston Martin and deciding you won't have it because of the colour - without ever experiencing the ride.

15. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    I'm sorry, but if you honestly believe you can get something cheaper than the trueCall that even does half of what the trueCall can do, then go for it.
    If you look at what those new all in one phones can do then they fail dismally in comparison to what trueCall can offer.
    If you look at the other offering the CPR, then yes it might be half the price, and yes it certainly will not cause you any problem with audio quality (it doesn't have any) audio that is not quality. It is also very very limited in what it can do.
    Any way it is your choice, but if you find anything like what I have said in my first sentence, please let me know. I just might be interested;)

Amazon 220 reviews, 174 x 5*, 23x4*, 7x3*, 11x2*, and 5x1*, I don't think that is too bad for 1 advert. The other advert on Amazon says 7 reviews, 4x5* and 3x4*

16. FifthCat

FifthCat Member

trueCall Model:
    England's Lake District
    Ok, I think there is some confusion here. I do not mean to offend anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. All I asked for was advice and answers to completely technical questions. Apologies if this was poorly communicated.

I would not be wasting my time asking about a device I didn't like. You really do not need to defend the device.

So can I ask again? What is the magnitude of the sound quality issue and could someone mail me an example of a recorded message please? I would be much obliged.

Best wishes from dark and wet Lakes,
    FC

17. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    No offence or hurt feelings - we just think you should try it. It's not available in blue, so if you want one it has to be red.

18. FifthCat

FifthCat Member

trueCall Model:
    England's Lake District
    I am relieved, thank you.

However I think that the quality of sound in a device used for voice communication is rather more vital than you seem to indicate. Especially when I have given you the context of my difficulty, call it disability if you will, albeit I made it in a light way.

If nobody here offers help that I asked for I shall ask the company technical support because I do agree that the functionality and support is outstanding. This Forum was my first port of call and I did try in a friendly, good humoured manner, but so far have have not got very far and instead I seem to have offended people, for which I am sorry.

You suggest trying it - I would far rather buy it in good faith, as a bona fide customer, than do what I personally see as a waste of time and money of others. I do hope you don't mind if I just wait quietly for a substantive reply with less emotions at play.

Thank you,
    FC

19. FifthCat

FifthCat Member

trueCall Model:
    England's Lake District
    Did I say quietly?

To try to convince you of my good intentions I will add that I am asking for a sound sample only because this is my only potential snag, and if I find that the quality is acceptable for me, then all the rest being outstanding, I will not need to buy to try. I will just buy.

Hope this helps to make my approach clearer.

All the best from sunny again Cumbria,
    FC

20. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I think you are being too sensitive. Ho hum.

I fail to see how a recording will help. It will be impossible to know what contribution the recording makes to any poor quality detected in the playback of the recording, especially as it would have to be made by holding a microphone to the earpiece of a telephone handset, which will also make a contribution.

I'll shut up now.