1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Slumber Developments

Discussion in 'trueCall Slumber' started by Jaime, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim New Member

So if you say to a spam caller that you're not interested, they believe that you'll co-operate more if they ring back time & again? it's not co-operation but some way of exploiting/making money from you that matters...

...indeed, explicitly knowing that they're very likely to be catching someone off-guard by waking them up would actually be advantageous if, for example, a scammer was trying to persuade people that they're urgently contacting from the bank.

& you've ignored the situation with a debt collecting agency wrongly chasing something, since they're simply after beating a debtor into submission; be it my situation or going after a previous occupant/partner/owner of the phone number/whatever... ...& it's been fairly commonly reported for probably decades now that people can have these types of issues.

Thinking of a 3rd possible situation, imagine someone on a zero hours contract wants to both be able to sleep at certain times (& so not being disturbed by the employer, who are obviously only concerned with covering shifts) but needs to know, on waking, if there is the offer of work. As it stands, using the slumber option either the employer is liable to disturb their sleep or, using the code option, the person would lose the opportunity of knowing that there's work on offer as no message can be left.

So, again, as things stand with the slumber option either anyone can opt to press a button & disturb you or, with a code, no one without the code can even leave a message - & I personally think that I've provided examples that clearly demonstrate that neither is ideal.

As I hope I've gotten across though, whilst the slumber setting is, to my mind at least, fundamentally flawed due to the limitations of both of the two options, this isn't to say that I have an inherent problem with the machine itself...

...so, along with already having said I've used alt settings to get a reasonable fit for my needs, I'll happily add that I renewed the online subscription (after the first year) a month & a half back; which I think demonstrates that imho it's good enough to have spent more money on.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    You've expanded the scenarios, but fair comment.

3. Tim

Tim New Member

You're correct that I did - though that wasn't a planned tactic.

Yeah, I was suddenly alerted to the fact that there was a question by an out of the blue email, & really wasn't expecting it to become a discussion - & as it's not something I'd thought about for a little over a year then all of my old issues with the slumber setting; & so it was about noting the limitations of the slumber setting rather than providing some comprehensive list of possible situations where it could be problematic...

...&, whilst I'm sure other people could come up with more possible examples, the reason for developing & expanding the examples as I did was because you were arguing against what I was saying.

Not a complaint at all - as I was obviously not being clear enough. :)

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I wouldn't put it quite like that - positing an alternative view, perhaps. Debate is healthy, and truth usually lies somewhere between two standpoints.

5. Tim

Tim New Member

Apologies that you had an issue with my word usage, however the definition of 'debate' (your replacement verb) is to argue about a subject...

(http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/debate)

...& so, using your explicit word usage, you were arguing against me; & then vice versa of course.

Not to worry though - hopefully the person asking the question now has an idea of both how the slumber setting can currently work & what I see as the limitations, & if it'd also be problematic for them then they can look to using alt settings; as I have - or, conversely, if they'd not be then they can obviously use it.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Unfortunately, the word 'argue' carries negative connotations. The only reason I picked you up is that other people will read this, for whom there is a possibility English is not their first language, or who may not appreciate the subtleties. I can assure you no offence has been committed or taken (to use 'offence' in two meanings simultaneously). This isn't worth debating further.

7. sheepdip

sheepdip New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    Question Tim

You say you can manually disable the do not disturb feature. have you found a way of doing it manually. I just thought I would double press the button again. However when I do that it just says do not disturb on and I presume it resets the do not disturb timer?