1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Slumber Developments

Discussion in 'trueCall Slumber' started by Jaime, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Jaime

Jaime New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Is there any progress on the development of Slumber model?

Are there any clues to how it may differ from the other units?

As a night shift worker - working irregular shift patterns from 16:15 to 03:15 or 22:15 to 09:15 I've been looking forward to seeing how the machine might enhance my life.

Having said that I have the Call Blocker with only close family members on my star list. Most other callers seem to hang up or are rejected and as a result I've had 5 weeks of uninterrupted sleep since the arrival of my machine and therefore I'm very happy :yahoo:

2. Tim

Tim New Member

I'd also like to know what's happening with the slumber model...?

Well, looking back, I first emailed to ask about it in October 2012 but, almost 2 years on, there's still nothing.

3. Tim

Tim New Member

Hello???

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    You could try asking trueCall? We (this forum) know no more about it than you.

5. Tim

Tim New Member

Sorry, I assumed, on the basis of there being specific technical support & whatnot being given elsewhere on the forum, that there were representatives from trueCall actually on here.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Nobody from trueCall Towers has ever (to my knowledge) posted here directly.

7. Tim

Tim New Member

As said, I'm sorry for my mistake - I'd clearly misinterpreted what the forum was for... ...but thanks for clarifying.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Hmm.

Going to the trueCall web site and clicking "Products" gets to a listing that includes Slumber. Clicking Slumber gets to an explanation of the Community Block List!

9. Tim

Tim New Member

If you replace slumber/coming-soon-.aspx with slumber.aspx (I can't post it as a link d.t. lack of posts) then there's the details of it which has been there for well over 3 years now... ...& I'm 99.9% sure that was the original page that you got going from the product page... not sure when it changed.

Yeah, along with usually sleeping very odd hours, it's basically about needing the ability to completely block almost every call; whilst allowing both the ability to disable it at the press of a button (ie if some company's going to be ringing me back at a certain time) & otherwise having a very ltd no of people knowing the key code to ring through.

Well, having to know what number a company's going to be ringing back to temporarily add them to an allowed list on would be a damn nuisance to need to be editing before & after, & potentially very impractical (ie if there's multiple dial out numbers), which are the problems with the standard one for me... ...whilst the Care one (or setting up equivalent settings on the standard one) is either too extreme in that it prevents flexibility or too weak as asking the caller to pressing a number stated in a message clearly isn't going to be particularly robust.

10. Jaime

Jaime New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Slumber Update!!

I'm really pleased we didn't wait for Slumber!!

My Call Blocker does it's job amazingly well. I've only been woken 2 or 3 times by unwanted calls in the last 2 years. When we go and visit friends and family I'm always amazed by the number of unwanted calls and "no answer" calls that people get. I'm always pleased to point out that for a very modest sum you can live without all of the interruptions from these calls.

We live in telephone heaven - only people we might want to speak to manage to get through to speak to us - Many Thanks trueCall

11. Tim

Tim New Member

My problem is that it's not 'might want to speak with' but 'only want to speak with' - with the flexibility of being able to easily temporarily allow any call...

Yeah, whilst it's certainly a nuisance instead having nothing, as I would *much* prefer that my sleep wasn't disturbed - what it's meant instead is that I simply don't answer the phone (unless I'm expecting a call) as money's tight & it appears that the alt products don't appear to actually do what I need.

(I say appear as there's just been an email that suggests that the standard model now has a double press 'do not disturb' feature - but I'm waiting to hear back as to whether this still allows (only) approved callers to be able to press some button to get through)

12. Tim

Tim New Member

Just to round things off, earlier emails with trueCall have led to finding out that there's a 'Do Not Disturb' double press feature (that's not available on older standard units - no suggestion was given of when it was added, but they can tell owners if you give them the serial number) that can be edited in the Control Panel so that it acts effectively in the same way as the Slumber was going to...

...so there's a default double press to enable it to last for 8 hours, but it can be edited to be shorter, longer or (as I'd need) indefinite - & it basically blocks everyone other than starred numbers (who are asked if it's urgent & to press a key) until either the time runs out or you manually disable it.

Apparently, the addition of this feature has completely replaced the Slumber model - which has been scrapped - &, on the basis that I'd not explicitly said that I didn't own any model already, they said that if I both had a compatible basic model & it was out of the year's Control Panel usage then they could edit the setting for me; rather than having to sign up for another year just to alter it.

diabolo and Top Cat like this.
  13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Thanks for the info.

14. Jaime

Jaime New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Thanks for the info about "Do Not Disturb". Isaac at the helpdesk walked me through updating the software version of my CallBlocker and now I have the function. On the days I need to sleep I can come home double press and it is set not to disturb for 9 hours - starred callers get a message to say I'm asleep, leave a message or if it's urgent, press a key to wake me up. Very happy with that feature - just hope I remember to set it :zzz:

15. Tim

Tim New Member

Having now actually bought one & had a play, the one very annoying thing is that setting it up to allow un-stared callers to enter the calling code blocks anyone without the code from leaving a message with the do not disturb enabled...

...though, in testing, the same thing happens if, for example, you set up the caller code for the unknown numbers in the day/night settings (obviously without the do not disturb function disabled) - so no one else in the call type can leave a message.

Naturally I've gone back to trueCall to verify that this is how the setting is configured (making sure it's not a faulty unit or I'd missed something) - but that's how it is atm...

Yeah, it's only that setting that has this strange behaviour, & I just cant see any possible reason why anyone would want the thing to work like that. Well having a caller code is obviously far more robust than everyone getting a message to press a certain key - which really isn't going to stop anyone other than silent calls or recorded messages... so basically anyone with a working ear & a finger - but then losing all ability for anyone else to leave messages is a little ridiculous.

(the premise being that, say a family member were away from home, they could ring on an unknown number &, with the code, get through - whilst still keeping everything secure & so messages could be left)

Anyway, just a follow up to warn that there's currently something of a limitation with the settings - though whether trueCall will act on my feedback is anyone's guess. Well, if it's just me that thinks it's b foolish then probably not, but maybe other people also see it as being so(?).

Otherwise, my comment about the ability to set the do not disturb to be indefinite was misinformation given to me by trueCall prior to buying - though, with the current setting issue with using a code for unknown callers then the workable options are simply either not robust enough or too extreme for me to sensibly use.

16. sheepdip

sheepdip New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    Thank you Tim for the information about the Do Not Disturb addition. Contacted trueCall and they arranged to have the software download onto my trueCall.

The only detail I am a bit confused about is that your stared callers get the recorded message about sleeping, what happens to the other callers. Do they get zapped or have they the option to leave a message.

I'm currently night shift at the moment however want to have a test myself to find out what happens to the various types of callers before using it live however I have got to say, that for working shifts, the basic trueCall has been fantastic as once it has been set up to the way I have now you don't have to unplug the phone to get a decent sleep.

17. Tim

Tim New Member

I've ended up using a completely different set of settings - ignoring the slumber facility completely d.t. various odd issues.

Well, I must have gotten my folks to ring me 30 times trying to test different options (with them sometimes being starred, sometimes blocked & sometimes neither) with the slumber facility & (from recollection as it's over a year ago now) there was no option that I could find that didn't either let everyone get through with a key press or block anyone who wasn't a stared caller from doing anything.

Yeah, it just seemed foolish to me that if you didn't set a code 'Acme Fraud/PPI/Telemarketing/etc Inc' could just press a button & then make the phone ring (as they don't care if you're asleep or not) - whilst if you did set a code then 'Important Message From Goodly Acme Inc/Friend's partner ringing on their behalf/etc' couldn't leave a message.

I did explain the issue(s) to trueCall at the time, but as it was only me that seemed to have a problem then it was down to me to find a least worst fit alt - though they did say that I could return the thing for a refund even though I think it was a bit after the 14 day after delivery to inform them limit; which obviously I haven't done.

So I've actually ended up by blocking everyone other than a couple of starred callers who know what my sleeping is from ringing through at any time // random numbers can leave messages // whilst blocked numbers get a dial tone - & then I unplug the thing if I'm waiting on a call from someone who's number I don't know. It's not ideal, but it's not an issue 99% of the time.

Anyway, it's conceivable that they've altered things over the last year so by all means have a play yourself, but assuming they haven't then it sounds like you'll run into the same issue as I did.

18. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I don't think it's too much of a problem that a caller hears a message to press a key if they really want to get through - no telemarketer is going to risk your wrath by breaking through despite your request not to disturb, and robocalls won't be listening anyway. Even call centres with computerised dialling will probably be unable to react.

What I'm still waiting for is an option for calls that are diverted to messaging having to press a key before recording starts (so that the robocalls don't leave messages).

With regard to testing the various incoming call options: http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/callers-code.296/#post-1652

19. Tim

Tim New Member

Ah, this is clearly some alt universe where when you say to some random spam caller that you're not interested, you then never hear from any of them again as they don't want to 'risk your wrath'...? Well, if they're happy generally pestering then I really don't think they'd have any qualms about pressing a button to wake you up.

Or as an example of something that's nominally a non-spam caller, I'm currently in dispute with Scottish Power - where they've wrongly billed me (& separately owe me £150 d.t. the recent Ofcom investigation), but because they haven't resolved things at their end then there's been calls logged from a 3rd party debt collection agency on their behalf as there computer system believes I owe them ~£110 for my final bill... Now, are you suggesting that, if it just took a key press, a debt collection agency (incorrectly) pursuing a debt wouldn't pressed it?

(I'm saying they're nominally a non-spam caller as it's not the debt collection agency's fault that they've been given duff information)

So of course it'd work for robo-dialling, but not everything is.

20. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Presumably even a spam caller wants your co-operation, so...