1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Rip-Off Britain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Top Cat, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    The programme on BBC1 today featured an item about a cold-caller who sold an elderly person a call blocker device (not a trueCall). The item pretty much dissed call blocker devices in general, and while trueCall was not specifically mentioned it will have been negative publicity.

Their "expert" commented that these blocker devices are difficult to set up, and can only block a specific telepest once they have called - but that they will change phone lines so as to side-step number blocking in any case, and that you can't block all calls from non-whitelist numbers because somebody important might be trying to get through (eg a doctor). On balance I agree that even the trueCall requires considerable understanding to make best use of it and avoid the pitfalls, but the pitfalls are well known to us and the flexible strategies available to trueCall users make it possible to customise a plan to suit most user circumstances. An elderly user would probably need help though.

I imagine the programme will be available on iPlayer for the next week.

2. Number Six

Number Six Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Hello Top Cat,

I agree with what you write. I've had my doctor's receptionist call on phone numbers that the surgery doesn't make widely known. She gave up and didn't leave a message. I managed to figure out what had happened by a routine check of the numbers coming up on the ICP.

My view [for what it's worth] is that you have to be quite determined to get the best out of the call blocker. I fully accept that other Forum members may well disagree and everyone's entitled to his or her opinion.

Take care.

3. Andy C

Andy C Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    She [Doctor's receptionist] gave up and didn't leave a message.

What particular challenge did this person fail to conquer ? Stating her name or pressing a single digit ?

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Doctors and surgery staff tend not to leave messages because of the risk of somebody else picking it up - even the knowledge that there is a message might be compromising.

5. Andy C

Andy C Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I can understand a medical person not leaving a message but surely identifying yourself as 'New Road Surgery' to the Whisper wouldn't breach any data protection. Asking for Mr. Smith to call back would be OK. You don't have to say 'Your results are back and you really need to get your affairs in order'.

I suspect that a minority of these receptionists are control freaks, not overly intelligent and are genuinely bamboozled by the question.