1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Possible problem with wildcards?

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by shadowfax, Jan 4, 2016.

1. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    In the two years I've had my call blocker, I've had a wild-card filter in my Star List for local numbers - on the (possibly naive) assumption that anyone from my immediate dialling-code area will be a legitimate caller i.e. 016708* with the name "Local call" (our area code is 01670) .
    This saves me from having to have all my local contacts listed individually in the Star List and so far it seems to have worked. Friends numbers are in my phone's phone-book so they're correctly displayed on the handset.
    Today however, a friend (local caller) asked about the "new system" I've got; it seems they'd called from their 016708xxxxx number and were treated as an unrecognised caller and challenged by the "Shield" - which they've never had to do before.
    So, has something changed? has anyone else noticed something similar?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
  3. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Thanks Top Cat.
    Very strange. I asked them to call again and they were once more challenged by the Shield.
    I've added their number to my Star list and sure enough they get through without any trouble.
    I'll wait a few days and if nobody else seems to be suffering from this I'll try removing the wild-card filter, web-linking then re-create the wild-card filter.

4. Reggieleccy

Reggieleccy New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    West Midlands
    Had the same on my classic. Checked ICP yesterday and no calls had been logged since 27th Dec, and told to synchronise on exit. However following an update this morning all calls were showing, also a call from a starred wildcard was showing as unrecognised and sent to answer phone. Seems fine now, put it down to the christmas holiday.

5. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Weird. I had a call today from another local friend who's not on my Star-list (who's always been connected without being challenged); they got through as usual and I've made no changes.
    Either "the problem" was a one-off glitch that's resolved itself or it'd developed some sensitivity to the original caller's number (that's too far-fetched isn't it).
    I'll try "un-starring" the original caller and see if they still get connected without a challenge.

6. Belligerent Barbara

Belligerent Barbara Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I had the same problem - been happening since Christmas Day - I reported it to Customer Services last week and got the response that they were aware of a problem and were working on it. Meanwhile, I switched my Unknown Caller call handling to Accept, because I work from home, and most of the work calls I get are local (which is why I starred them).

Just had a check on my Control Panel, and calls from my local exchange are now being tagged as Star List Caller again, as of today. So, I think they've fixed it!

Wondering how the problem can be on their servers, though - surely it's got to be in the software on the Call Blocker itself. But as long as it works again, anything more is just curiosity.