1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Phone Line - Flow Through or Bypass?

Discussion in 'General' started by Top Cat, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    My phone installation has not been upgraded to a BT master socket - there is a junction box outside and a number of extension sockets around the house are directly cabled into the junction box. Before I installed the trueCall I agonised about whether I would have to get a master socket installed (and all the trouble that would be), but I decided to try the trueCall out on just one phone extension before going any further.

The manual is not clear on this point, but I need not have worried - it worked fine even though it was only on one extension line (trueCall plugged into the phone socket, phone plugged into the trueCall). The extensions that continue direct to the junction box and not via the trueCall I refer to as "bypass".

Things to note:
    • The trueCall will register the outgoing dialled number, even if from a bypass extension, as long as the phone is tone-dial not pulse-dial.
    • Incoming calls intercepted by the trueCall will produce a short ring ("tinkle") on the bypass extensions.
    • Bypass extensions cannot be used to manage the trueCall's functions - eg controlling zap and star numbers, or listening to messages. This can be useful in some situations.
    • Picking up a bypass extension while the trueCall is handling an incoming call connects you straight with the caller.
    • One can only screen an incoming call on the flow-through extension.
    • I do not know whether the call recording function of the trueCall will work on a bypass extension.
    • The incoming phone line must have CLI (Caller Line Identification) set up for the trueCall to be able to filter your calls. This is not always a free service, and must be requested from your phone provider.
    Of course, the trueCall extension phone needs to be tone-dial in order to access the trueCall's functions. Overall the system works best if all the extensions are flow-though, and I ultimately solved that by scrapping the bypass extensions and investing in a multi-handset DECT (cordless phone) set - the base station is plugged into the trueCall, so all the handsets become flow-through.

In fact, I have actually kept one bypass extension - for safety it is desirable to keep a normal wired phone, because in the event of a power cut a DECT set will not function (no mains to the base station). The trueCall would not work either, but it does have a fail-safe that connects the extension directly through to the phone line. To avoid the "tinkle", the ringer on the bypass extension is silenced.

2. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    I pondered this as I was using an old Amstrad wired phone and 2 separate Dect phones. I didn't like the idea of trueCall fitted inline with the Amstrad and the other "bypass" phones still being allowed to ring, therefore bypassing trueCall. At the time we were having 5 or 6 calls a day from "junk" callers (finance, silent, recordings etc etc). So I looked around for the best of both worlds from my viewpoint which was and is a corded Main Phone Panasonic KX-TG6461 which come with and also controls 2 Dect phones (actually 3 but we only use 2). This means that whatever calls we get, any phone in our house will ONLY ring if trueCall allows it. And of course in power cuts we are OK for the main phone.
    When I was looking for such a phone I found there were very few such animals around - I did try one other - a Binatone, but it wasn't the best. The Panasonic is very good, no problems at all and does exactly what I want in conjunction with trueCall.
    I've also fitted a small switchover switch to quickly switch OFF trueCall (which allows flow- through) if there is a likelihood of a very important call, where I don't want even the remote possibility that trueCall will discourage the caller - but I've not used it yet!

3. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    A corded DECT base station that still works with the power off is a great idea.

What is this "switchover switch"? Do you realise the trueCall has an internal relay to create a bypass if you unpower it?

4. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    Yes TC I know if you disconnect trueCall it automatically bypasses, but rather than pull out the power lead or climb under the desk to disconnect it (my wife won't do either) I simply made an on/off switch available - labelled on one side as trueCall and the other side as Phone. Now she can do it herself without calling me if she wants to use it., though as said we've never yet NOT used trueCall. With my increasingly severe arthritis, my wife has to do all sorts of stuff that once was my domain and if I can alter things to make it easier for her, I'll do it before I can't. (She knows she can just pull the power lead out, but prefers a switch). The words she said some time ago were "Can't you put a switch on it or something?" so I did. . . . .

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Fair enough, it just sounded like something else (some kind of bypass arrangement on the phone line).