1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Persistent International telepest changes tack

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by Moon Raker, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I have been receiving several calls a week from an International number which is blocked by my TC with 'number unobtainable'. They seemed to have got wise to this and yesterday - following two blocked calls with an International number - they spoofed the CLI to a non-existent number using my own STD code. This will be met with 'shield and whisper'. The first attempt resulted in a hang up but on the second attempt (just two minutes later) a very short message was left (as TC diverted to voice mail after caller followed 'shield and whisper' instruction) - in fact this message was so short and quiet that TC shows 'no message left'. But in fact I heard two words when playing back the voice mail, indistinguishable but certainly with an Indian accent and a lot of chatter in the background, so certainly a call centre. So spammers are learning about TC call blockers but are, of course, still wasting their time trying to get through. TC call log:

25/04/17 14:07 INTERNATIONAL 00:10 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening :

25/04/17 16:03 INTERNATIONAL 00:04 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

25/04/17 16:41 01225764996 00:15 [Bath] Unrecognised caller / Shield & Whisper / Hung up during screening

25/04/17 16:43 01225764996 01:02 [Bath] Unrecognised caller / Shield & Whisper / Hung up - no message

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Another example cropped up a few days ago, probably from the same scammer. They tried first with an International call (no CLI) which was blocked by TC with 'unobtainable tone'. Then, within seconds, a second attempt but this time with a spoofed CLI! But also blocked. Well done once again trueCall, worth every penny. TC calls log extract:

04/05/17 10:05 INTERNATIONAL 00:06 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

04/05/17 10:05 00135144396308 00:05 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

3. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    And a further recent example. This scammer found his (probably spoofed) Premium Rate number blocked by my TC via Zap. So a few days later they tried again, this time making it an 'International' call. But of course TC did its stuff and the call was still Zapped. The idiots never learn. Extract from calls log:

05/05/17 14:24 08761414141 00:14 [Premium rate] Zap list caller / Zap message / Hung up during screening

09/05/17 13:30 08761414141 INTERNATIONAL 00:16 [Premium rate] Zap list caller / Zap message / Hung up during screening

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    No more persistent than the attempts I fend off daily trying to advertise dodgy health suppliments and other bodily enhancements on this forum!

5. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    It would however appear that some International spammers just don't get the message:

29/07/17 15:40 INTERNATIONAL 00:09 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

30/07/17 17:02 INTERNATIONAL 00:06 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

31/07/17 19:02 INTERNATIONAL 00:04 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

01/08/17 11:04 INTERNATIONAL 00:05 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening

02/08/17 17:07 INTERNATIONAL 00:04 Call from an International caller / Play unobtainable tone / Hung up during screening