1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

"Off the hook msg" issue

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by Avensis77, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Avensis77

Avensis77 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    [Warning long intro!] :)

Hi, been a trueCall customer for 4 years now and never encountered any issues myself until recently. A few weeks ago a large thunderstorm fried my TC box when a surge came up the line. I replaced my box immediately and at the same time thought it's about time I bought my parents a unit as they are plagued with unwanted calls. So, my new box is installed and works a treat (I was pleased i has exported my starred caller list 4 years ago - saved me ages putting it all back in!).

Now, after singing the praises of TC to my parents I hoped to have no issues with their box either... but upon installation I found a couple of issues - the main one was that the starred caller list didn;t appear to let anyone through. After some checking I found that they didn't have CLI active on their account so they've requested this be added.

[Issue of thread now...]
    However, when they make a call or receive a call after a minute or so the "your phone is off the hook, please replace the handset" warning starts blaring out and it cuts off the call. Now, my question is... is this likely due to the lack of CLI? (if so great that'll be rectified soon).
    If not... what could be the issue? They have 3 phone sockets in their house. The main master socket is downstairs and has the TC unit in it (though a Broadband filter) with a BT DECT type phone in the back of it. The other two extension sockets are upstairs. One has nothing plugged in. The other just has the BT Broadband Home hub 4 connected via a filter to it. Is there an issue with that set up that could be causing the "off the hook" warning to go off everytime?

Thanks for listening...

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    No. CLI is a burst of data sent with the signal that rings the phone, and plays no part thereafter.

What's stopping you doing some experiments to find out? Suspect everything, and eliminate possibilities:

The first thing to do is eliminate the trueCall unit itself as the source of the problem. Fit it to your own line in place of your own trueCall and see if it does the same thing. If not, it's probably OK. You could also try fitting your own trueCall unit at your parents' house and see if that behaves properly, but you will have to reprogram it to accept calls with no CLI.

Get hold of an ordinary corded phone from somewhere (you're bound to have one knocking around, and anyway you need one because a DECT set won't work in a power cut), disconnect everything (I mean everything, including the microfilters) and start with the corded phone plugged directly into the master socket. Then introduce the trueCall between the master socket and the phone. Then add the microfilter. Then add the other microfilter to the extension socket. Then add the BT router. Finally swap the DECT set for the corded phone. Test for the problem at each stage.

My bet is on the BT DECT (we know some models of BT phone are troublesome with trueCall), but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a faulty microfilter. If the problem starts as soon as the trueCall is added, either the trueCall itself is faulty or there is something wrong with the wiring. Hopefully you have already eliminated the trueCall, as per the second-from-previous paragraph.

Incidentally, you have your parents' setup in a non-optimal configuration. The router should be connected to the master socket for best broadband speed; the DECT set can be connected anywhere.

3. Avensis77

Avensis77 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Hi, An update for you. I performed some checks as you suggested above and narrowed the issue down very quickly to the micro filter in the master socket. Works fine after replacing it. So, thanks for the advice it helped a lot.

:thumbsup:

Top Cat likes this.
  4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!