1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Numbers with wildcard direct input in the trueCall unit?

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by HAL9000, May 12, 2013.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Continental Europe
    Hi,

I would like to know, how to memorize a Zap number ending with a wildcard using the trueCall unit's menu and not thru the Internet Control Panel.
    And then how to search for the number.

Thanks,

HAL9000

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    You can't. The Internet control panel is a significant enhancement over the capabilities of a stand-alone trueCall unit.

3. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Sad, I often use wildcards. It could be done on the unit, using the "R" key on your phone as wildcard.
    I live outside the UK and I sometimes have trouble to make a Weblink.
    I will open a new thread concerning this in the Suggestion Box.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    We don't have "R" keys on our phones (which I take to mean "recall", produces a timed line disconnect rather than a tone, and is used on PABX systems to access office facilities).

Is the trueCall specified for use outside the UK?? :eek:

5. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    My trueCall units (Classic and now Blocker) are preprogrammed for outside the UK and work perfectly, except Weblink. Not all synchronizations are successful. That’s my problem. Every Weblink to the London based server is costly for me.
    Although it's now better with the new Blocker unit.

Therefore I would prefer to enter Numbers with wildcards using my phone instead of having to make a Weblink every time I use wildcards.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes, I think I got that first time (it would have been handy to have known your non-UK context from the start).

I think there are ways the menu system could be rearranged to allow entry of wildcards using the star key, no need to involve an R key at all (I have found that some of my phones have an R key, but they serve no function on the UK network).

7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I agree with you. I hope trueCall is reading this.

8. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Try http://www.trueCall.mx/

Of course, you cannot enter without registration and it does not appear to be particularly active. In fact the registration panel has the basic instructions in Spanish and the detail of where to find the serial number in English...hmmmm. :D - possibly a work in progress. Lots of others appear to be in the pipeline, some with holding pages etc...

9. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I have the old TC2 and a new TC3 and they both work perfectly in my country.
    I also know that several Swiss people bought one after TC was mentioned in a consumer protection news paper.
    And if I'm correctly informed, there are also US and french users.

The TC recognizes automatically many formats of Caller IDs (UK, European, US and others) and just needs to be programmed to call the Weblink server in London with the international prefix for the UK.

The only annoying thing is, that you can't buy a TC online, living outside the UK, with your Credit Card. Not even at Amazon.co.uk. You first need to contact TC.

10. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    "posted: Oct. 31, 2011 @ 10:17p

trueCall LTD has a pilot program for some countries outside the UK. We just received our unit set up for American 110 AC with
    phone jack adapters. Works like a charm. Cost was $150 USD including shipping. The unit is awesome and nobody gets through
    unless you allow it. My favorite feature is night shield. No more O-dark-thirty calls until we shut it off. Payment for the pilot
    program is through pay pal and not through their web site. Though our initial contact was through the web site."

Found on a forum from the U.S.

11. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    All you do is the normal "memorise and zap". I did it with a series of 0800 numbers, used by a very annoying company with which I used to deal, by simply terminating with # after the common cluster. The number you block may obviously be of any length. Standard length here is 11 digits, but if you type in a number 4 digits shorter that's ok. Then terminate with zap and switch off. This has blocked one call for me from that compay in the last few days. I found it when I checked online. I have not tried searching for that number using trueCall itself, but it showed up on my 'phone when I checked the redial numbers. Not sure if that's what you mean, though.

12. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I'm not sure either. :(
    Lets suppose that I want to block a call center that uses several numbers. Only the last four change.
    E.g., 0800 800 XXXX.
    In the Internet Control Panel I would block this numbers using a Wildcard (*).
    So, the entry would be 0800800*. This would block 0800 800 0000 until 0800 800 9999.
    Are you suggesting that if I enter directly on my TC the number 0800800# this would have the same effect?

13. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Yes. I did not know it could not be done so did it! I entered 0800 XXX and zapped it. TC then informed me it had been zapped. A day or so later a call came from 0800 XXX nnnn and was blocked. Since other 0800 numbers at the moment are subject to whisper then what I had done worked.

TC seems to recognise idiocy and tell the user, politely, that he has it wrong. This morning, trying to enter a number for zapping while chatting with somebody in the same room I did the following:

handset on
    #
    That was all. The unit announced: "Failed. No calling number is available." Looks like I have a failsafe for senior moments too! :)

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I didn't know about this, it does not appear to be documented anywhere. I wonder if it applies to Classic+Extra?!!

15. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Might be worth trying with other clusters we recognise as a nuisance, a small group of 3 or 4 for example. An experimant might be to remove them from the zap list then enter one number which is the "common core" of the group and zap it just to see how TC handles those numbers.

16. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's easier than that. When I get around to it I will put a wildcard zap in which includes my mobile number.

17. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    :(

I wonder if this is just a case of only specifying a partial number, which then matches the leading digits of the incoming CLI. If so, this mechanism will not comply with the "normal" prioritisation of a wildcard match set via the ICP (if, say, 01234 is zapped and 01234567890 is starred, I suspect how a call from 01234567890 is handled will depend on which entry is found first).

18. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    True; I hadn't thought of that as I use my mobile as little as possible. It's in my pocket set to a very gentle vibrate so I may easily monitor who is calling and react accordingly. I use it myself for real emergencies such as: "The supermarket does not have the brand you wanted. Will brand X do?" :confused:

19. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Hmmm - I must recheck my findings now. Wonder if the call was blocked some other way...will use your mobile technique.

20. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Certainly did not work with my mobile number. :( Now I have to recheck what happened some days ago, as on both occasions it said I had been successful.

And curses! Because I went out of sync I actually answered myself!

Ahhh! Hold on! My mobile number is in the star list and therefore that would take precedence I believe. Retest required. Now me brain 'urts!