1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Nuisance Call Blocking - CLI Required

Discussion in 'General' started by Top Cat, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I've been visiting for a few days, and the household is on the BT low-user rate and does not have CLI to even see what number is incoming on the display. In the three days I was there the phone rang at least a dozen times with unwanted calls (and that was while we were at home), two of which were people offering "to fix the computer".

Without CLI they had to answer in case it was a wanted call, and without CLI I can't set them up with a trueCall to eliminate this nuisance. It is disgusting that call centres and fraudsters have free reign to prey on vulnerable people this way, and even more disgusting that vulnerable people are expected to pay extra for (what is now) the basic facility of CLI.

2. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    I'm fairly sure that if you sign up to the free BT Privacy service they give you Caller ID for free as long as you make the odd call..

3. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes, it's called BT Privacy at Home, and claims to register you with the (TPS) Telephone Preference Service and provide CLI for free as long as you make two phone calls a month (exclusions apply). The problem is that as a low user they may not make two calls a month, and then get stung with a £2.70 per month charge (which I understand drops to £2 next year). In my opinion that counts as "paying extra".

If the TPS worked we wouldn't need a trueCall (although it does have other functions too)!

4. diabolo

trueCall Model:
    England
    Doesn't the trueCall make calls itself occasionally to upload data for the control panel?

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Indeed it does! Not by default, but it can be configured to do it weekly or more often if you want a higher refresh rate. Excellent point (only cheap calls too, free if you have an "Evenings and Weekends" package).

However, I feel obliged to point out the control panel requires a subscription after the first year (trueCall needs a revenue from somewhere), although I don't know whether the trueCall unit continues to phone home after the subscription runs out (it might).

6. diabolo

trueCall Model:
    England
    I would assume it would until you configured it to stop.

7. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    I might be mistaken, but I think that you can make 2 0800 calls and this counts as your two calls

8. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK

I am afraid that you are mistaken. Freefone calls such as 0800 do not count to this '2 calls per month' tally. They must be chargeable calls or calls included in the BT calls package. Not that the information is easy to find - it's in a drill down box on the BT website (under BT Privacy at Home) which suggests (at the top level, i.e. before drill down) that CLI Display is free. Typical BT - totally misleading.

9. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    But was I mistaken in April 2013, 4 years ago :)