1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

No Telepests on VOIP

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by OldGeezer, Jun 16, 2013.

1. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    UK
    As the title i no longer have a landline there is no monthly charge except for a geographic area code. Local calls are one pence per minute and i buy £10 of calls which is topped up when exhausted.

In 2 years i have never been cold called

Anyone else use Voip ?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    So how does your IP come into the house - fibre?

I take it this can have no connection with trueCall, so I should either delete it as an irrelevant topic or move it to the Village Pump - but as you can't post in there yet I will take pity and leave it here for the moment.

3. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Well thank you, my interest is regarding telepests or the lack of. Its via cable btw

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Okay, fair enough (maybe). I have tweaked the title to make this topic "fit in".

I think it is only a matter of time before telepests find you, I presume you have a number that can be dialled from the normal POTS system. They have, after all, found ways to be pests on mobiles.

However, with VOIP having a computer at the client end, I imagine you will be able to install software filtering in an emulation of trueCall functionality.

There has been talk of converting all telecoms to VOIP delivery, but I don't foresee this happening any time soon. It could not, for example, support emergency communications in a power failure.

5. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    I had the voip before i heard of TC when i am working at peoples houses i always recomend TC when they start moaning about telepests

6. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    BT does have implementations of VOIP (= Voice Over Internet Protocol) phone service in testing and evaluation. One flavour will arrive eventually as a phone service for fibre to the premises. It will mean they no longer provide power to your phone socket box (no copper connection and will save them some electricity costs). And their IP based telephony service is firewalled from the public internet. I think their current phone service over fibre is a flavour of VOIP but it does not have any intelligent routing capability or breakout into the public internet.

VOIP is not immune to telepests, especially if you have a VOIP number that looks like it is a geographic number. The numbers obtained by the telepests are from public directories, number lists sold on, or results from computers setup to randomly or even sequentially dial and build datasets from their test calls.
    • one advantage of VOIP is that you can have one or many geographic looking numbers porting to your line from anywhere in the world e.g. a West Coast US or Australian number and be anywhere in the World.
    • You can take the VOIP box and plug it into any internet connection anywhere, e.g. when you are on holiday or say a 3 or more month placement abroad, still using the same numbers for incoming access.
    Some VOIP implementations are for example Skype or Vonage service (there are many others).
    Many business phone systems used by banks, insurance companies, multi-national corporates, call centre systems are VOIP systems. CISCO in particular market several of these.

7. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    BT's FTTP service uses a battery back up to enable telephone service down the line in the event of a power failure.

stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/.../battery_condoc.pdf‎

8. Resigned Member

Resigned Member Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK

I have to admit this one confused me and I have been pondering over it for some time and now I thought I should ask the question just to kill my curiosity.

I see you have trueCall classic yet you are using VOIP and have never had a nuisance call.

I had no idea trueCall could be connected to VOIP could you explain how you achieved this and why do you need trueCall at all if VOIP does not allow a telepest to reach you.
    If you have cable with a telephone on it like I have (Virgin Media) then this is just the same as having a landline surely ?
    As far as my limited education goes I understand that VOIP requires the use of a computer so I can not understand the requirement for trueCall.

Please educate me by explaining how and why you use trueCall.

Confused.com

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    VOIP certainly requires an adapter of some sort to convert normal analogue telephone signals (POTS - "plain old telephone system") to and from Internet protocol data packets, but that can be a special-to-purpose piece of kit and not necessarily a full-blown PC. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the terminal at the end of a fibre connection (for example) splits out TV, Ethernet, and phone.

Of course, once the POTS signals are recreated they are fair game for a trueCall (provided they conform to "spec" - whatever that might be). Telepests might not have found these lines yet (although, for "never", you probably need to read "rarely"), but they will, and in any case the trueCall provides call management facilities that are useful even if there were no telepests callers.

By the way, even BT is threatening to bring services into the subscriber as IP. How that will work in an emergency situation is a mystery to me.

10. Resigned Member

Resigned Member Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I see I have had several calls from this number on my zap list - 08000728401

I decided to have a look around see what I can find about them.

First port of call was the link given on the page listing the received calls and found this post on Who Calls Me:

• [​IMG]
      Manu
      21 Nov 2007
      calling me 3 times a day. really fed up with this company. does anybody know who it is?

• They are calling me on my skype in number all time
    It would appear that our friendly top moggie is correct. (note I missed the word "again")

11. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    that number 08000728401 is one of the numbers on the "Community Block list"

12. Resigned Member

Resigned Member Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Thank you for this information.
    I am unable to see the community block list for some reason or other (probably lack of education) but I know it is there.
    The point I was trying to make is that VOIP is not immune proving our Top Cat correct in his post.

13. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    You do not actually see any LIST. All you will get if a community blocked number attempts to call you is this in the call log :

07/10/13 13:07 [​IMG] 00:22 08000728401 [Freephone Call] Community Blocked number / Play unobtainable tone / Call rejected
    My understanding is you also need to be using a "Custom profile":
    https://www.trueCall.co.uk/communityblockingsetup.aspx If you are not using the custom profile , try it , then do a web update .
    If I am wrong on this I'm sure someone will point it out.

Yes trueCall is not imune. trueCall works with voip lines and all robot diallers or any dialler, do not know the difference between a VOIP number, a TalkTalk number ,SKY or BT. A dialer will just dial every number through a sequence.

14. robf

robf Member

trueCall Model:
    Kernow, UK
    Interesting that you say trueCall will work with a VOIP line, as behind my trueCall unit I have a DualPhone.

The dualphone works with both Skype (and my UK Skype number) and my landline, but only calls to the landline are dealt with by the trueCall unit... I'd love to find a way of getting TC unit to work with my Skype number as well!

15. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Different context. The trueCall unit can only handle analogue phone lines, or digital phone lines after an adapter which converts it to standard analogue. Toekneem was referring to calls which originated in various ways (including VOIP) but are delivered to the subscriber by POTS.

16. robf

robf Member

trueCall Model:
    Kernow, UK
    Thanks for clarifying.

Looks like I'll need to forward calls from Skype number to landline then, should I start getting unwanted calls on the Skype number (not a problem currently and easier to change Skype number than landline)