1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

No Apostrophe Character in Text Strings

Discussion in 'Internet Control Panel (ICP)' started by cambrensis, Jun 17, 2013.

1. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Welshman in England!
    This morning I went through yesterday's call list in order to annotate as necessary - and was transfixed by the horror I'd discovered!

Hopefully, I am in error; perhaps there's a glitch in my TC3 only. Somehow, I don't think that is so - and I am in despair.

I did a quick search of the Forum and failed to find another reference to this phenomenon, so elected to start this thread, hoping that some other members might check it themselves in order that my sanity might be restored - or otherwise.

I refer to the fact that I am unable to save the apostrophe if I use it in the text. It appears in the string, for example, "Bill's mobile", but when saved it comes out as "Bills mobile".

I am able to enter many different characters and symbols from "character map", but not the apostrophe. An example is as follows:

æñ®'±

the following is what trueCall saves back

æñ®±.

As I hold the Saxon Genitive (otherwise known as the "apostrophe s") very near and dear I'd much prefer to have this corrected. It doesn't matter so much in other situations (for example I might equally type "doesn't" and "does not"), but do not think I should be forced to type the earlier form "Billes book" rather than "Bill's book"!

Seriously, I'd be grateful if some members woud check this on their own trueCalls. Perhaps it occurs only on the TC3 for example, or is "reserved", and I haven't noticed; it would be interesting to find out.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Does this occur on the trueCall itself, or within the ICP before syncing?

It could easily be that ' is a reserved character, conflicting in some way with whatever language is used to program the ICP or trueCall, and the easiest way to deal with it was to strip out reserved characters before further processing.

3. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Within the ICP before syncing; I may apostrophise to my heart's content on my DECTs. I did suggest it might be reserved for some reason; however, further thought suggests it cannot be. How could anybody reserve a characteristic part of the written language for something else?

I know...stupid question! :( - Thanks for the move, by the way. Had a feeling it might be in the wrong place, but the blood was flowing fiercely! Thank heavens we shall not see a Welsh interface. And as for other languages which use the Latin alphabet ...:rofl:...yes...tried it with other alphabets as well and no chance! I should not expect anything there though yet as too early. However, the Greek µ is supported, probably as used in computerspeak, despite the fact that "micro" would serve. Ah...there 's always the possibility that somebody might wish to discuss variable-µ I suppose, which takes us to a different field. :)

I've spent years in Essex as a missionary, trying to persuade them to write the language correctly! Foiled again!:confused: (Or so it would appear.)

I think I'll take one of my tablets...

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Methinks you know little of computer programming!

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    So we can eliminate your TC3 from the equation then.

6. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    the characters " and ' are used in pairs to delimit strings, throw them in as an apostrophe and all hell breaks loose, which ones pair up and then there is the problem of using escape notation.

Worse problems than apostrophising are to be found when people rely on spell checkers and their inability to determine between 2 correctly spelt words and produce the wrong meaning in a statement. Possibly even turning it into an insult. Witness the misuse of there and their.

@cambrensis. I guess/surmise that you are a retired teacher of the english language.

I prefer to use hand coded HTML rather than alternatives such as BBCODE

7. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Yes...am quite used to strings as I taught programming as well. My first essay into that field was with "Big Blue" back in the mid 60s; their recruiting ads used to be placed alongside the"Guardian" crossword,cryptic variety, which tells you why I became involved!

I could tell tales... :crazy:

Fully agree about hand coded HTML by the way.

I have a deep love of languages so am quite happy with all forms. Designer languages, to coin a phrase, present different problems of course.

8. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    True as when I checked by removing the text from the TC3 ; however, I've known strange things occur where some batches of a cpu would "obey instructions" which another batch would not, much to the puzzlement of the home computer market at the time. I'm going back a bit as this was a very popular 8-bit device.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Z80 is my tipple. I once came across a batch of simple latch ICs that didn't.

10. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    England
    I remember lots of fun with undocumented instructions among the 8502/85C12 processors in my youth.. A fair number of them worked across a variety of mates' machines but there was never any guarantee. In particular, there were observable timing differences between machines that could cause problems with things like background music hooked into the screen scan interrupts.

Back on topic, I agree that the ICP should certainly support apostrophes in names!

11. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    :yawn: Clay tablets (and a stylus,) I assume. ;)

Maybe we should give up with Latin char sets and all start using UTF-8 giving us the ability to use Emoji, Pictograms, etc.

BTW I tend to change "[Mobile Phone]" to "[Mobile] Bill Stickers" (he was innocent wasn't he;)

cambrensis likes this.
  12. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Spot on! Had a feeling you'd recognise the ref. Still have my coding books somewhere for that one...

Wondering - is this a feeling of nostalgia or nausea? :bleh:

13. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    He was - he was!

...and I'm going to join the Secret Lert Society. I've always wanted to be a Lert!:sorry:

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have a round tuit if that's any help...

cambrensis likes this.
  15. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    I think you should keep it for Ron!