1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

New Developmemnts: Spam register

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scam Buster, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scam Buster

Scam Buster New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Is there any way that you can turn the spam register/telepests listed here and reported by trueCall users, into a more accessible version so when we have a dubious number calling, we can check it against the trueCall spam register? There are very few good, accurate web sites that help with searching these numbers and trying to work out whether they are kosher or not. My father gets around 5 bogus/scam calls a day and it is a full time job working out whether to add them to the zap list or not. Just an idea!

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
  3. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    My recommendation in your situation is to only allow through starred callers, sending all others to messaging. You can then screen calls that end up on messaging and add the few legitimate ones to the star list rather than have an accumulating zap list. This is my modus operandum.

My star list includes wild-cards for specific STD codes (eg the local one, and anywhere I have family connections with) and mobiles, and this avoids most problems.

There remains an issue with legitimate calls that withhold their number, eg NHS/doctor, but I advise them to call my mobile (and you could have them call you rather than your father).

4. Scam Buster

Scam Buster New Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Thanks TopCat! We already do all of that. When I say he gets 5 bogus calls/day, I mean they have tried to call but trueCall doesnt let them through and they are sent to my message asking them to ring me....which some of them proceed to do (eg the HMRC con men!) I dont have the STD wild cards though as I think we have all the necessary numbers on the star list now.

5. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    UK
    @Scam Buster If i am correct you are looking for some kind of reverse lookup. one reason why there are few reliable registers of bogus callers is that under current ( recently introduced legislation) it is a criminal offence to attempt to conduct a reverse lookup of a phone number unless you are an "approved" agency, with police and other agencies being heavily under funded recently they are NOT able to carry out the necessary degree of screening they would like to do and this newish piece of legislation although well indented actually plays into the hands of the very people it was designed to discourage.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    That's interesting and curious. It's hard to see how it could be possible to conduct a reverse look-up without access to the relevant database (which would, I agree, contravene the GDPR), and hard to see how the GDPR prevents anyone building an independent database of unsolicited callers from information that has been effectively volunteered to the public by the very act of making an unsolicited call.

I don't think whocalledme.com has much to worry about.

7. Scam Buster

Scam Buster New Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Thanks Arthur and TC. Very interesting as you both say...what a b****y mess! That confirms my brothers feelings that it would be more beneficial to get the Police to work on this than spending more precious money on Private Investigators on this case....however, the police have done sweet Fanny all in this last year for us....so what does one do!!?? Its our local MP’s turn next.