1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

New BT8500 Dect phone sets with trueCall tech..

Discussion in 'General' started by ByteOfTheCherry, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ByteOfTheCherry

ByteOfTheCherry New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Just appeared(to me at least)..anyone any opinions/experience..??

2. Wheelie_UK

Wheelie_UK New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    United Kingdom
    There is a pretty good review here http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home...bt8500-review-the-best-call-blocker-phone-yet
    Essentially it is a modified version of trueCall blocker, also with less features. However, it has trueCall Technology in it and will, likely, reach wider markets than trueCall could achieve on their own in the same time frame. In my view, it's a start to the integration of trueCall into handsets, but there is a lot more that can and will be done. Of that I am positive.

Admin edit: insert web link.

3. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    I have to say BT branded handsets are amongst the worst budget range of handsets available and have little or no credibility. Gone are the days when brand stood for quality and reliability. Spending very little more gives you a Panasonic (the pinnacle of DECT) and the blocking feature is limited and miss old as a solution. I doubt if 'trueCall' had any input into its development.

- Raymond

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Nonetheless I believe they did.

5. Buzby

Buzby Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    If so, then it would be at firmware level, but clearly they did not wish the publicity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Rinansay

Rinansay Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Just as a matter of interest, here's what's said in the trueCall Update section of the Internet Control Panel:

BT launches phone that incorporates trueCall technology
    Today BT formally launched their new flagship phone - the BT8500. This is the first phone to incorporate trueCall technology. The BT8500 offers four call handling options - 'Allow', 'Block with Zap message', 'Whisper+' and 'Send to answering machine'. While the trueCall Call Blocker, trueCall Care, and trueCall Vi units offer many additional features, the BT8500 will reach a wider market and will help tens of thousands of people control the calls they are receiving.

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    According to an advert on Classic FM, there is also a Panasonic phone with "call blocker technology".

9. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    I note the BT8500 is a digital only device. Because we have no cell phone signals in this area I have no other phone options if we have power cuts (always in winter). So I use a corded combi Panasonic - this has a corded base but with it's own digital satellites which it controls. On first hearing about the BT8500, I thought I could tidy things a bit and just have it, but being all digital it's of no use, which is a real shame.
    That said my trueCall is working incredibly well and our junk calls have ceased. I check the web site data every week and see the ones that have attempted to call and amended as junk and Zap list them. This has really tightened up the system.

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    To be fair, the vast majority of DECT phone sets (ie cordless - it is irrelevant what the cordless technology happens to be) do not have a corded option and, as you say, would be useless in a power cut because they rely on mains power to run the base station (and to charge the handsets - but you would expect the handset batteries to last for the duration of a power outage). I simply have a corded phone connected in parallel for emergencies.

As the DECT base stations invariably use an external power adapter (AKA "wall wart"), it would not be impossible to interpose a rechargeable battery of some sort between the wall wart and the base station. This would provide back-up power if the mains went off for a period. Manufacturers have missed a trick - base stations should have a battery option the same as the handsets!

11. boswell

boswell Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    I used to have a corded phone and 2 separate DECT handsets but when I connected trueCall inline with my corded phone the digital phones were not controlled and of course rang with the usual junk calls - which defeated the point of my trueCall. Hence the Combi which of course controls it's own DECT handsets. I take it if you have a corded phone in parallel, it's not controlled by trueCall and there will still ring or do you simply have it sitting there unconnected and plug it in during power cuts

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    As it happens I have both - but I plan to rearrange things in the near future. It is no problem to fit a splitter after the trueCall and have two phones hanging off it (cordless and corded), but my reorganisation will put the trueCall in line with the rest of the house.

The reason is that my house telephone system was installed pre-BT master socket. All the phone sockets are hard-wired directly to the main junction box, with one of the sockets containing the spark arrester and bell circuit components. For anyone with a BT master socket, extension sockets in the rest of the house are wired to that and can be disconnected by removal of the face plate - this exposes a test socket so that the incoming line can be tested independent of the house wiring. This also provides a ready means for the trueCall to be inserted ahead of any extension phone sockets.

For anyone with broadband, fitting the ADSL microfilter between the incoming line and the house wiring will ensue the best possible data rate. The latest BT master sockets are fitted with the microfilter internally, with an ADSL socket to connect to your router.

As you know, in the event of a power outage the trueCall switches itself out of the circuit and any (unpowered) telephones will still work.

The phones which are currently on "bypass" extensions are set to silent ring.

13. MsGemini

MsGemini New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Care + Recorder
    England
    I know this subject (BT8500) started & ended some time ago.......but as an owner of one of these devices thought I should share the main difficulties of using it with you. I should also mention that I have recently bought & set up 2 Secure trueCall devices too, one for mother and one for father-in-law, both of whom struggle using the phone & are totally confused by low life cold callers, just in case anyone thinks I'm posting in the wrong place.

Anyway, the first BT 8500 was faulty although I didn't know it at the time. I manually input all my contacts and the unit worked ok for a few days. Then it started 'challenging' all my contacts. Despite various 'fixes' and a discussion with the BT helpline (really !!) it just refused to work properly. The unit was returned and swapped for another one. Once again I had to input all my contacts but so far it is working in that it lets through the callers in my contact list without challenging them. However, the length of time it takes for the unit to ring once a contact has been identified by the BT8500 takes so long that some callers think we're not there to answer the phone and hang up. It's so frustrating because there's nothing that can be done to alter that.

By comparison the 2 trueCall units I bought for elderly family are brilliant pieces of equipment. I think I'll be sending for a truCall Classic for myself very soon now!

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Classic is no longer available, the "standard" unit is the trueCall Call Blocker.

15. MsGemini

MsGemini New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Care + Recorder
    England
    Yes, I meant to put 'Call Blocker' instead of 'Classic'. Think my memory is declining too! :)