1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Need to change phone number?

Discussion in 'Internet Control Panel (ICP)' started by tarbat, Feb 3, 2017.

1. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Scotland
    So, I haven't used our trueCall for a few months whilst in temporary accommodation. We're now in our new address, with a new phone number, and Weblink constantly fails. Do I need to update the phone number associated with the trueCall unit to get WebLink working again?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Honest answer: I don't know! (But I didn't think so - I thought the ICP is keyed to the unit's serial number.)

Unless somebody else can chime in, you will probably be best giving trueCall a call (and tell us what the answer is).

3. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    Scotland
    I submitted a support ticket yesterday, so hopefully I'll get a response from trueCall next week. Weblink still failing on every attempt. I also had to manually set the date/time on the trueCall unit as well, and wonder if something has got out of sync with the trueCall servers with the unit being disconnected for several months.

4. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    Scotland
    Reply from trueCall was that it should work okay on the new number. They've asked me to check that there's an ADSL filter in place, which there is, and that I can make outgoing calls, which I can. So, back to support for any other ideas.

I wonder whether the unit being out-of-use for several months could be the problem. Has the Weblink process changes in the last few months, a new number, etc? Is there some way of checking why a Weblink has failed?

5. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    Scotland
    So, they now think it's something on our line causing the weblink to fail, but I have no idea how to diagnose what could be wrong on our phone line. I can make calls, receive calls, etc. no problem. Line is okay on a quiet line test on 17070.

Anyone know how to turn off the weblink after every call? Because weblinks are taking many minutes before failing, it's stopping incoming calls being received for minutes at a time, but I can't find an option to turn off the weblink after every call that I was previously using.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Not without a weblink to the ICP (although possibly there is an undisclosed code sequence to key in which would do the same thing).

How about trying it on somebody else's line?

7. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    Scotland
    Difficult to try on another line, so I recorded what the unit is doing when weblinking and sent that to trueCall support, and hopefully that will give a clue as to why it's not working. In the meantime I did a factory reset to turn off "weblink after every call".

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's phoning the parrot shop for some reason, and trying to start a conversation with a Norwegian Blue.

9. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    Scotland
    Conclusion. Openreach spent over 7 hours at my home and the exchange today and finally tracked down the problem. Something to do with the broadband equipment at the exchange on my line interfering with the voice line. Anyway, all fixed, Weblink working. And a 25% increase in broadband speed as a bonus!!

Now just have to restore all my settings. I've imported my Star and Zap lists, but can't find how to import settings, as there's only an Export button. Any ideas?

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Dunno - copy&paste?

11. DTsBT

DTsBT New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    uk
    Sorry to latch on but I have the same problem since moving house in feb 2016. BT/openreach are adamant there is no fault. trueCall Support insisted I needed a filter which is already there. I gave up trying to use the ICP as a result, using the basic trueCall function which is extremely frustrating after having the ICP. I have just bought new phones which work fine as long as the trueCall is disconnected but don't ring out at all when it is connected. I have user ID and the phones are correctly set up. Starred callers go through to the trueCall answerphone without the phone ringing. I note the previous OP's solution was that it was an exchange issue but openreach say not. Doe anyone have any suggestions as to how I can determine the source of the problem please?

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Very difficult when you have different organisations involved and each unwilling to take responsibility for the problem.

However, the stark facts are that the trueCall does work (or did work) on another line, so either the trueCall unit is out of specification but managed to work under the right conditions, or your line is out of spec. Take your pick.

13. tarbat

tarbat Member

trueCall Model:
    Scotland
    Yes, my problem was an exchange issue, but was easy to prove as I also lost Caller Display as well. It took two engineers to fix, the first one calling in an "expert" to help diagnose the fault. Fixing the Caller Display fault also fixed the trueCall weblink problem. But obviously the trueCall weblink problem wasn't caused by the Caller Display failure, but both presumably had the same cause.

14. DTsBT

DTsBT New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    uk
    Thank you both. All other bt call features work so there's no persuading Openreach to carry out further checks though there have been multiple line faults. Our line is old and very rural. I'll try the trueCall elsewhere to check.