1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

National Numbering Plan

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by db1, Jul 11, 2013.

1. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    BT line - in God's own county
    Originally from an ICP discussion: (The Blank that never was...)

Which implied I could not count, but was using 10 in terms of 10 meaningful/significant digits

So I replied : (with some tidying up here)
    The National Numbering Plan dates from at least before 1990
    • (May 1990 - 01 released by creating 0171 and 0181)
    • 16 April 1995 - PhONEday
    • 22 April 2000 - Big Number Change

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's good to find people aboard who actually know something about stuff.

(I "liked" the original post, and being stingy I'm not going to "like" this one as well)

3. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Welshman in England!
    Well...not that you could not count, db1...I had not, however, noticed your use of the term "significant"; had I done so the penny would have dropped. Thinking of pennies dropping, in a reply to your posting in that earlier thread I did say the following: "Very interesting dB1! Part of my brain is still working with pulses and the days of "back-dialling", so I was ignoring the obvious here." By "the obvious" I was referring to the fact that the initial zero was of no significance. Of course in the days when STD meant Subscriber Trunk Dialling, and we did actually dial, am I not correct in saying that zero was ten pulses? Perhaps not and my memory is indeed faulty. I remember being shown the system by a GPO service man in the early to mid sixties.

An interesting variation has occurred on this in the meantime. The company concerned rang me again and exactly the same thing happened. On this second occasion it was a standard landline number and not the 0800 variant. Again I received the extra digit.

Now to revert here to the real point of my original posting: when the calling number was 0800 trueCall listed it as "Caller ID blank", whereas my telephone recognised the number. When the normal landline number was used, with exactly the same number of digits trueCall recorded the number perfectly well. So obviously the number of digits involved either has no particular significance, or has significance only if the number is 0800, or not as the case may be!

Hmm...methinks this part of the thread is now in the wrong place. Doesn't really matter as my original puzzlement still remains.

I'd have been reading and replying to this much earlier, but I've been fairly busy of late.

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes, zero was ten pulses.