1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Name Storage Capacity

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by David, May 13, 2013.

1. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
    I think it would be nice if more than 140 names could be stored within the trueCall unit. Memory is dirt cheap these days so I can't see any need to have such a low limit. :ranting:

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It depends how the data is stored. My bet it is either a small serial EEPROM, or EEPROM included in the main system chip. Having spent some time in cost-critical automotive electronics design, I can assure you that meeting a price point means focusing on the essentials.

I don't really see why you would need so many names stored on the trueCall itself. The Internet control panel has effectively unlimited capacity to display names against numbers in the call log, so the only names you need to store on the trueCall itself are those you want to display on the phone handset when a call comes in - how many friends have you got? Compare the 140 limitation with the number of names you can store on a typical DECT phone.

3. Roger

Roger Moderator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    This is an area that I remember caused me a bit of confusion some time ago. As far as I can tell the trueCall unit itself can store 1000 numbers, and 190 names. At the bottom of the Internet Control Panel under 'My Zap & Star List' there is an explanation of this that reads:
    As far as I can see if you have a modern DECT phone with a 'phonebook' facility when the CLI is received by the phone it will display the callers name. You would only need to tick the option to have the trueCall unit send the callers name to the phone if they weren't programmed into the phone's stored names itself. Most Dect phones have the ability to store about 200 names and occassionally 400.

Hope this is of help.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    In defence of the trueCall facility, my DECT set (base station and three handsets) save the name substitutions in the handsets themselves. As it happens my set (Siemens Gigaset) can be commanded to copy the list from handset to handset, but as an occasional operation I have to get the book out to find the command codes, and not all DECT sets have this facility. Having the handsets independent like this means different members of the household can have different name lists, but it seems to me more logical to have the name list stored centrally on the base station.

Using the trueCall name substitution list instead bypasses this problem, and also means completely different phones don't need separate programming. It is also much easier to set up via the trueCall Internet control panel than on a phone handset!

Obviously more capacity would be a nice-to-have, but I still don't think many people would exceed the current limit.

5. Roger

trueCall Model:
    Thanks for your reply, I can see what you mean. I have a Panasonic Dect base phone with 5 seperate handsets and the ability on each of them to copy either individual phonebook entries or the entire phonebook from one handset to another. This facility is easily accessed from my handset's menu so I don't have that problem.

However, I agree that in your situation it might be better to have a central database so that the handsets recognise any incoming callers name if the phone's handset doesn't have that number stored in it's 'phonebook'. It points out on the Internet Control Panel "If you store names both in your phone's phonebook and in trueCall then different phones apply different rules as to which takes precedence and you might get unexpected results". This could subsequently mean that each individual phone handset would need their address books to be totally blank to avoid this conflict.Obviously, if the phone's handset stored numbers were blank it would not be possible to use the handset phonebook to look up individuals when making an outgoing call.

In defence of the facility on trueCall the identity facility was provided for numbers that might not be stored on the users handsets to be identified by the trueCall unit which would then forward the details to the handset. This is primarily in case of say, an individual or company whose number you wouldn't justify storing on your phone's memory but it would be nice to be identified if they called you. In this circumstance not every number/name on the trueCall unit needs to be ticked in the options for the information sent to the handset. A limit of 140 to 190 in this instance should be more than enough.

If the numbers were stored centrally on the trueCall unit of all calls being received, and these details were then to be forwarded, if the handsets also contained names and numbers, this conflict could arise each time a call is received.

I believe that the forum topic initially started with a member wanting more than 140 names stored on the trueCall unit, but the ability for the trueCall unit to act as a 'central directory' is possibly the requirement for a completely facility entirely.
    I know that this is a really confusing issue which seems to have split into two different requirements. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Top Cat likes this.
  6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Good point, I had forgotten that. In fact I do not store names on my trueCall for exactly that reason.

7. Roger

trueCall Model:
    I gave it some more thought afterwards and, as I already have nearly 400 numbers stored on trueCall, that would be exceeding or pushing the limit of what most Dect phones can hold. Mine can hold 400 but looking again at using trueCall as a central number database, you might be able to transfer the numbers to your phone base unit but probably not individual handsets which might need different numbers selected. Also trueCall would need to know every Dect phone handset phonebook protocol which would be far too complicated. It was a nice thought though.