1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Is failure to record dtmf tones by design?

Discussion in 'trueCall Recorder (including Recorder Upgrade)' started by Daveb, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Daveb

Daveb New Member

I bought trueCall primarily for the call screening. This it does pretty well.
    I added the recording function to save me making notes. This works too, BUT:
    Having suffered for at least two years with my bank's automated phone system dropping digits, but only when specifying a sum of money, so 123*45 becomes 123*00 or 12*00 or even 1*00, I thought trueCall would help. To help in this it is crucial that the dtmf (touch tone) tones are recorded, so I can confront the bank with a recording of a failed transaction where I did press the right buttons.
    What did I find?
    Not only are no tones recorded, but the odd syllable or two of words next to these tones are cut out. This produces a recording that sounds edited (because essentially it is). No good for proving my point.

Is this behaviour by design? Is it avoidable (by some config option I haven't found)? Is it a legal requirement?

Daveb :confused:

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    That's a toughie, not something I'm technically competent to address.

I will try to get an explanation from the development people.

3. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    Do you have either the Allow Mid Call Star or Allow Mid Call Zap options set in your configuration? I wonder if this is a side effect of the unit having to listen out for those tones?

It might be worth trying a test recording with those options off while we wait for some more information from trueCall towers.

4. Daveb

Daveb New Member

I do have these options set, and will try without.

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have a definitive answer from trueCall Towers. For reference I have prefaced it with an abridged version of the original enquiry:
    My own answer is to purchase one of those cheap phone recording pick-ups (that adapt to a cassette recorder), and use an old-fashioned corded phone with it for the bank transaction. (Every home should have a corded phone on stand-by - DECT doesn't work in a power cut!)

6. Daveb

Daveb New Member

Yes perfectly understood. Only looks obvious when you know the answer.
    The bank problem has been with me for at least a couple of years now and I've used three different telephone lines in two different dialling areas 400 miles apart and five different telephones, including basic cord telephones. I've also had someone watching me press the buttons and still they sent me a letter saying it was not at their end.
    That all said, this is not a complete deal-breaker,it is just a disappointment that I can't do that particular job with it. I have since I've had it made recordings of a conversation with a solicitor and with a builder, both of which I'm glad I've been able to do.
    Thanks for quick response.
    Dave