1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Introductions: How Do You Use Yours?

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Top Cat, Feb 1, 2013.

1. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    UK
    No you put 1470 in front of a number you want to get straight through

2. blockhead

blockhead New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    I have to admit this is true, a blanket withheld number killer... how ever, I just make sure that the doctor, my trusted local garage etc. have my mobile number. I never give my mobile to anyone I don't want a call from. That was my solution before I discovered trueCall. Still sticking with it, trueCall is my dream solution for blocking anonymous numbers, but allowing relatives call from abroad to break through the 'firewall' with a PIN or whisper.

3. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
    I have now made enough posts to be entrusted with the Like function. :supercool:
    So here's one I made earlier. :prize:

4. blockhead

blockhead New Member

trueCall Model:
    He he.. that is very sweet of you David, thank you.

5. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    The trouble is that you can get calls from people who just make numbers up.

I have my mobile phone rooted and using the right app i get to block who want a la trueCall style and the phone doesnt make a sound :D

6. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Don't they just. Unfortunately I have an old-skool mobile.

I had a spate of people ring me up to sell me insurance for my "new" phone!

7. blockhead

blockhead New Member

trueCall Model:
    Thats neat, which app do you use? I have to say that I have not had one single bogus call on any of my UK mobiles, of course there is always a first time.
    I do get irritating service provider calls on my Spanish mobile, which is down right annoying as I have to pay for them when I am in the UK.

8. Dave C

Dave C New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    Hi, I have the original trueCall (the one Top Cat is calling Classic).

Bought it last August, just a week or two before an updated model came out (gutted!). Love it so much I rave about it a lot, and already bought another for my in-laws for Christmas, who in turn are buying another for an elderly relative constantly pestered by pest callers. It won't be the last in my circle.

My setup is similar to Top Cat, and I get almost no calls I don't want.

I work at home most days. Interruptions are expensive - it can take me ages to get back into the flow of work, so minimising unwanted calls and the frustration that goes with them was the main thing I needed. I've not been disappointed. Screening calls was my previous best solution, but a ringing phone is still an interruption I don't need.

Stats from the web site... over the 8 months I've had trueCall, just over 29% of incoming calls have been unknown callers who hung up at the challenge. That alone makes it well worth having. Knowing that approved callers, can still get through unhindered clinches it. Well done that inventor!

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Welcome along.
    Yup, we've gotta call it something (to distinguish from the newer variants), and that's what it's gonna be (I'm all for democracy, but not where the outcome is immaterial).

PS: trueCall have also adopted the convention - if you submit a support ticket the email form is pre-loaded with model info, including (in my case) "trueCall Classic".

10. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    May I know what app you are using? I suppose you have Android?

I use "Extreme Call Blocker" for my Whitelist/"Star". ECB allows sounding the ringtone even when the phone is muted for whitelisted numbers but it doesn't correctly block calls. Sometimes they are still diverted to my voicemail. That’s why I also use "Root Call Blocker Pro" for my Blacklist/"Zap". Both allow the use of wildcards.

BTW. There is a quite hidden option on Samsung mobiles with Android 4.+ called "Add to reject list" if the number is stored in your Contacts. I don't know if other brands have the same option.

11. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Yeah use my tablet to surf and post here "Asus Transformer 101" its rooted usb ports and i can use a broadband modem if i want,

You are also right about Root Call Blocker Pro

12. Moon Raker

Moon Raker Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I have had a TC Call Blocker since 2013 and it has been upgraded with the recording SD memory card. Only a few calls are recorded however - the reaction when I told an obstructive receptionist at my GP's Surgery that the call had been recorded and I was reporting her to NHS ICAS was priceless! (that surgery is now in CQC 'special measures').

I block all International calls and numbers on the Community Block List with 'number unobtainable'. All with-held numbers/number unavailable numbers are blocked with the default 'unable to connect' message. All numbers on the Zap list are blocked with the default message. Unknown numbers are put onto 'shield and whisper' as are all business numbers, mobile phone callers, payphone and charity/public sector numbers. Such numbers are subsequently checked via the 'who called me' drill down and may be Zapped. Starred callers get through though usually only to voice mail, unless I am expecting that call and I am at home.

This is a brilliant invention, well worth the £100 and annual fee for ICP. I synchronise and check weekly and not a week goes by without some scammers being blocked. Some months ago some clown attempting to phone via an International number (and blocked on a dozen occasions) then decided to phone using his own mobile and left a voice mail message! Needless to say the gentleman was Indian and I did of course also block that number. But most of them give up after a while. I say - just let them carry on wasting their time, effort and money in their futile pursuit. I regard checking and blocking them as a form of entertainment!

Top Cat likes this.
  13. C56441

C56441 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I've just purchased and installed TC Call Blocker and first impressions are that it's a great solution to what, for me, was an ever-increasing problem of nuisance calls. Prior to installation was receiving up to 50 calls per month, mostly re 'boiler replacement' or 'window replacement' which are robotic and easily dealt with via TC's screening process. Lately there have also been a few 'live' calls purported to be from 'fake BT' and 'fake Microsoft' call centres - I never actually talked to them as did not answer if caller id not on my base station's contact list but 'reverse number look-up' suggested that calls were criminal in nature.

Re settings, I found the default profile was a very good start but have now tightened call handling using custom settings so that Withheld / Unavailable / International callers receive message upfront that call is being rejected thus avoiding the need to check for their potential messages. Given the number of 'boiler' calls I'd been receiving for months I suspect that landline number had somehow been added to 'suckers lists' even through I never answered their calls or pressed any options such as 'more info' or 'be removed from list'. I'm going to run system for a while with these enhanced settings in hope that my number is removed from frequently-called lists and when / if volume of calls reduces I'll revert to standard settings just in case a 'Whithheld' call is genuine.

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    There can be a problem rejecting all such calls out of hand - if, for example, some official body were trying to contact you (eg your doctor). If I know a call is expected that would fail my screening I just turn off the trueCall.

15. Wilksco

Wilksco New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Care
    UK
    As a new member on my first post I thought I'd add a response to this because in my situation I have a method that works for me.
    I got a trueCall for my mum as she got taken for over £3k by a phone scam. Mum is what could be called vulnerable in such circumstances.
    The perpetrators are now guests of Her Majesty but the danger is still out there.
    I have my mum's unit set to block all unrecognised numbers. As said above, this causes problems with doctors and other users of withheld numbers for "official purposes".
    To resolve this I have a message on the unit that simply asks callers to ring me and gives my mobile number.
    If I then see an unknown number on my mobile I let it ring to my voicemail and if it's the doctor they leave a message and I call mum and ask her to ring them back. The hospital are more of a pain because they often don't leave a message but if it's for an appointment they write anyway.

A couple of other things that I've discovered using this:
    • Some of her friends and relatives get very a***y when they call and find they are not already on her "chosen" list. I love the conversations that go "but I've known her for years, we talk regularly and I'm not on her friends list?" I then call mum and say "I've just been talking to X" and she says "Who?, no I don't remember them"
    • I have seen a slight increase in nuisance calls to me, particularly people telling me I've had an accident. My current responses range from hitting the end button, through an impolite version of "go away" to "yes I have, wow did you see it on the news? I couldn't believe it, hitting the first plane was bad but then when I bounced off that and hit the second one I thought this just isn't my day".
      And I move on in my life