1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Introductions: How Do You Use Yours?

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Top Cat, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    The trueCall unit can be used in a variety of ways for a variety of purposes, so I thought we might gather "user scenarios" in this topic, as a means to introduce users to the forum.

2. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Device: trueCall "Classic" + Extra upgrade

Scenario:

I don't use my land line as my main point-of-contact, it's more a convenience for the broadband. As such there is a limited range of people who might call it - otherwise the vast majority of times the phone rings it's a nuisance call.

My trueCall is set up with a star list (including wild cards on all mobiles and STD codes for my places of interest). Any call not on the star list, including numbers unavailable, withheld, international, etc get sent straight to an announcement and messaging immediately, without ringing the phone. Star list callers ring my phone, which itself takes a message if not answered within 40 seconds. The trueCall is set to cut in if unanswered for 2 minutes (the maximum available, I would make it "never" if that was an option), so it is always the phone that takes the message in that case.

Thus messages from starred callers are on the phone, and messages from anyone else are on the trueCall.

3. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    I have a trueCall Call Blocker and use it in a similar way to Top Cat. Starred callers get straight through and then will be directed to my standard answering machine if I don't answer. Zapped callers get a number unavailable tone (I really like that feature!) and anybody calling internationally or from a withheld number get asked to press a key before being put through.

4. Jillus

Jillus New Member

I have had my True call since early February and just love it. I have made up a star list so just about everyone I need to hear from gets through right away. I have recently discovered a site called Tellows.co.uk where you can find out who has tried and failed to get through to you. So far I have Zapped about five people who have been given untrustworthy ratings from this site. My sister calls me from France and as her number comes through as International she just gives her name and when I answer just put her through right away. She says the slight inconvenience of waiting a few seconds longer is no problem, in fact she is so impressed with True call features that when she moves back to UK next year has the trueCall unit at the top of her shopping list.

I love looking at the call logs when I have time and am amazed at the number of attempts to call me despite being registered with TPS.

I think that trueCall should be paying me commission for the number of my friends that I have persuaded to get a trueCall , it is an excellent piece of kit, well done to the Team and thank you.

My evenings are once again my own and no longer will I have Asian sounding gentlemen telling me to "fugov" when I tell them I am not interested in whatever they are trying to scam me with .

The final straw for me was one such International caller who threatened me that he would call and call and call until I listened to his sales talk.

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Welcome Jillus, nice avatar.

Point of information: if you use the web control panel, there is a search button in the call log that goes straight to who-called-me (or whatever).

6. Jillus

Jillus New Member

Thanks for that, obviously missed that information, this just gets better and better!

7. Chris2Station

Chris2Station New Member

I got a trueCall box (Blocker) in Feb. for my parents. My father was locked into a large number of Mail scams, spend a significant amount of money over the last yr. and I mean significant i.e. a new small car amount. Not only did he receive mail from the scammers but he also received regular calls, informing him he had won the prize money and he should look out for the envelope. My experience is these scammers call for two reasons: 1) to keep the scam going by exciting the target they have won?, and 2) to make sure people are not stopping the scammers mail from get to them (it the 1st thing people who try to stop the scamming, stop the mail, so they call to inform the target to check the mail). So with agreement from my father I installed the trueCall box and also redirected his mail so the scam mail can be filtered out.

The box only blocks International calls and Caller's number unavailable, all other calls get through (all though I'm building up a good Start List).

I can report since the start of Feb to start of April: 322 Int. calls and 65 number unavailable calls have been blocked by trueCall. On peak days, there are 10 to 15 Int. or Num unavailable (persistent aren't they, all though you think they would of got the message).

Why International or number unavailable? Well the scammers he is hooked into are based in France or Belgium, and calls are made from their HQ therefore International. When the system went live, I saw a number of "number unavailable" were coming in so blocked these. Key is the scammer don't want you to have their number (surprising?).

My father is no long spending money one scams because his not get any mail from them but also neither is he or my mother is getting hounded by the scammers.

This system is great, does what you want it to, the web control and information are very clear and easy to use.

I would recommend this system to any one who is getting calls from scammer and wants them to stop. If your reading this and have concern about scammers, then all though they don't give you any solutions / quick fixes but do give information on the growing issue of mail scammers please look on the internet for thinkjessica. They are a charity bringing awareness of scam mail fraud in the UK.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Welcome aboard.

I knew somebody who was spending money trying to claim foreign lottery wins.

9. Jaffa

Jaffa New Member

Hi all
    After many many unwanted calls, Tps not doing what it was intended to do i spent many hours looking at different options and solutions on stopping these calls, and also tried many free services that in many cases says it all (Just a waste of time). I had heard of this device and well i decided to read in to it a lot more and must say was impressed, I looked at a few video's of it in action not that there is many i could find but it swayed me. Looking at the official web site i was very sceptical as looking more like a marketing site and must say it made me wary at first as it came across more of a scam site and would put many off giving it a chance especially as it is a big lump sum your spending. But hey i thought id give it a go and made my order and well i'm far from disappointed. I'm glad i took the chance and well since installing the device i have not had one call over the past two months of use not one, I do see that they have called but hung up at the first stage. That to me is a plus but even if they do get through the zap is an added extra in my eyes. The advantage of the recording is great, I have mine set to record all calls and then back up the ones i want and delete the ones i don't. So for my device i have all calls monitored all can contact me and i block as when i need to.

10. RabbitRabbit

RabbitRabbit New Member

I am a dyslexic grandma writing up her PhD. I need undisturbed thinking time!

I started off being an enthusiastic zapper but now I don't zap. I would rather these companies waste time and money calling me.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Welcome both.

If it gives you satisfaction "they" waste their phone bill on you, fine - but you should think of personal benefit before concerning yourself with "their" just desserts (which will have very little effect).

12. dpick1947

dpick1947 New Member

Hi all new member but not new to having a trueCall. First got mine about a year ago when I was getting loads of night time calls from tele sales pests for PPI etc. When I first got trueCall I was getting approx 20 calls a month from international and withheld numbers. I have found that over the months the fact that I have some sort of call blocking is getting through as the number of calls being blocked has dropped steadily to now just 2 calls in March and February.

I now have peace and quiet it's smashing.

dpick1947

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Hello and welcome.

You're right - I think the existence of trueCall (and now the BT phone with similar capabilities) will become common knowledge with the telepests (good word) and they won't bother ringing. Even more so if the standard zap greeting made it clear that's what's going on - see my suggestion in this topic:

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/alternative-pre-recorded-announcements.38/

14. Dave G

Dave G New Member

Another great site is whocallsme.com.
    Their database is growing rapidly in the numbers it can find.

After receiving TWO calls from a Telepest caller, (now 4), On a Sunday! I looked them up
    (JN Financials calling from 02077864700).

I posted a comment on the 'whocallsme' site under the pseudonym 'Payback' ;)

I have my trueCall set up with my zap list set to… 'Caller blocked with unobtainable tone'…, and I take great delight in checking my calls list every week and gloating over the fact that I was blissfully unaware that hey had called :)

The trueCall unit is one of the best bits of 'kit' I have ever bought, and PEACE has finally returned to my life! :)

15. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    whocallsme is linked through from the trueCall control panel, click the magnifying glass symbol against the numbers in the calls log.

Thanks for the spam report, been dealt with.

16. Hazel

Hazel New Member

I have used trueCall for about 3 or 4 years (since they were first shown on TV). I was getting intimidated and the telephone company was not doing anything to help me. trueCall saved a lot of unwelcome calls since then.

17. Catmac

Catmac New Member

Hi there,
    Glad to see this forum up and running. We have used trueCall for a few years to great effect. A family feud where there was abusive and harrassment by phone from certain family and their friends. trueCall put a stop to that it avoids having to change your number just because of a few people. It's a great and esential piece of kit in todays world.

It also helps the increasing number of cold callers from UK and international.

18. nissan

nissan New Member

trueCall Model:
    Hi all,
    Just registered on this forum - only just heard about it. I purchased my trueCall Blocker in December 2010. I love the recording option - albeit I seem to be unable to delete the recordings from the SD memory card. But, maybe that's for the proper topic thread when I've had chance to look around and found the right thread to post to.

Hope to pick up a few tips after perusing the site.

Cheers! :cheers:

19. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Welcome to the forum, but I'm curious about your Blocker - it was probably the Classic that long ago (just called "trueCall" - "Classic" is what we use to distinguish it).

You should be able to delete recordings using a card reader and a PC (plus the trueCall management software), or I did it by the phone menus (I don't remember the exact sequence) - I found I had to listen to the message then I could delete while it was playing. Vaguely relevant topic here:

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/constant-blue-plus-fast-flashing-red.43/

20. nissan

nissan New Member

trueCall Model:
    Ah, right, yes it must be the Classic then.

I'll post further about my problem over in the topic thread you provided a link to.