1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

International Caller ID

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toekneem, Apr 18, 2013.

1. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    I thought that Caller ID from International calls into the UK was a no no due to our system in the UK. Was I wrong or does it work depending on the originating country.

Just noticed this in the log:

001441685258987 ( Bermuda) Unrecognised Caller- Wrong Breakthrough key

So the Caller ID has come through.
    Now that it is not shown as "International" it's another for the Zap List.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have had three calls from "008543000000 [Vietnam]", but from the voicemail left they are the C&G. I think the problem is an extra leading "0" from somewhere - take that out of both our examples and you get valid UK sources (if you also truncate to the right number of digits).

Could these be attempts to obfuscate the CLI, or just system glitches?

3. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Could be, it was just "Bermuda" that got me thinking. But he is ZAPPED now:ban:

Getting a few " 00" trying to get through but I have them blocked with "unobtainable"

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Good point - I will trap them with a "00*" entry (but as only star list gets to ring the phone, and every other call goes to answering machine, it's not essential for me).

5. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    I've seen some genuine USA origin calls display caller ID e.g. GoDaddy, Paypal, Vonage, other US ISPs, it relies on the originating switch forwarding caller ID

These are of course multinationals and have call centres in both the US and EU, so could have been routing their calls internally to the UK and popping out locally into UK POTS thus having callerID UK compliant.

** GoDaddy in particular don't tend to recognise the time difference between MT and GMT+DST (mountain time is UTC-7 and AZ does not observe DST) so that is 8 hours difference in the summer when we are on BST. I have been EXTREMELY grumpy to receive a call from them at about 4 AM when a website went haywire consuming all available resources and they sprang into action. This was pre-trueCall and they did not have their EU datacenter in Amsterdam **

6. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    If anyone has read the reports from the Parlimentary Select committee then they will now know that BT are starting to implement International Caller ID. It is being rolled out from August 2013 and as Exchanges are upgraded (I take it that means software). It should be finished by Autumn 2014.
    Full report can be seen here:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmcumeds/writev/636-i/ntc008.htm

My understanding is that there might still be problems with receiving CLI from Voip callers.

7. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    I would actually assume that the rollout is more likely hardware dependent, some hardware will exist that cannot have its firmware flashed, this would need to be replaced.

The number of different hardware versions present in the telecom network must be horrendous, a simple flash of firmware could be implemented nationally of all hardware on the same version in a matter of minutes per switch, (read cabinet shelf in the racks in each exchange), its more a phased upgrade that requires some testing, with some hardware that is incompatible having to be replaced.

Also there could have to be a different firmware version per hardware version, which must amount to hundreds in the thousands of switches in the system.

Almost on the same scale as the implementation of the Infinity fibre platform, except that it has to be done for all exchange switches, not just those considered to be "economically" viable. Think how long it took to take all the mechanical Strowger switches out of use, its on that scale.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Now we have a crowd-sourced community block list compiled from weblinked zap lists, it is important to zap these numbers even if they wouldn't get through anyway.

9. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    As I have just taken advantage of the upgrade offer, can I just say thank you to you then:group-hug:for helping me with my block list:cheers:

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    You are taking my comment too much to heart, it is I who should apologise having offended you!

The point was not that you should understand necessarily, but that the existence of the Community Block List should at least have come to your attention as a reader of the forum, and if it didn't then I am doing something wrong. Understanding will follow in time.

12. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Thats correct Brian. Your profile shows you have the trueCall classic which unfortunately does not not itself use the community block list. My understanding is you are still assisting other users by using your Zap list and logging in to the control panel .

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  14. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    So you should be able to make use of the Community block list.
    https://www.trueCall.co.uk/communityblockingsetup.aspx

"All new trueCall Call Blocker units, and trueCall Call Blocker units purchased since September 2012 (which have the volume control on the side) can use the Community Blocking list.

Log in to your Internet Control Panel. Select ‘Handle Incoming Calls’ and then ‘Customise’. At the bottom of the screen you will see a new entry ‘Community Block List’. You can then select a Callflow for these callers - send them directly to the built in answering machine, play them the unobtainable tone (so they won’t call again) or playing them the Zap message (“We’re not interested in your call – please hang up and don’t call us again”)."