1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Installing Message Centre on a Mac

Discussion in 'trueCall Classic' started by Keith Roberts, May 9, 2013.

1. Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    Hello, I have had my trueCall for a number of years and have just decided to install the Message Centre on my iMac running OS10.6. I get four options "Autorun.inf", "penRecordings.exe", RECORD.ING" & "trueCall setup.exe". None of which my machine can recognise telling me that there is no application set to open them.

has anyone encountered the same problem and can help me with an solution

Keith

Summary of Subsequent Discussion:
    The trueCall message centre software is Windows only, but can be run on a Mac using dual boot, virtualisation, or emulation. For details see post 12 here:

http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/installing-message-centre-on-a-mac.127/#post-677

TC

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I strongly suspect the message centre software is Windows only, as indicated by the names of the files you mention which are typical of Windows setup files. The only suggestion I have is that you try the dual-boot Windows option which I believe is available on modern Macs.

3. Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts New Member

trueCall Model:
    Thank you, it is as I suspected. the reason i tried is because page 3 of the manual that came with it says it can be insyalled on a Mac running OSX, which mine is.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    In which case I recommend raising a support ticket with trueCall (in your Internet control panel click "support" near top right).

5. Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts New Member

trueCall Model:
    Thank you I'll give that try

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes.

7. Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts New Member

trueCall Model:
    It would seem that one requires a Mac that has PC Emulation installed, unfortunately this is not possible on my Mac.

Thanks for your advise and help

8. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    It's surprising that trueCall have not extended any software to enable it's use on Mac's.
    More and more Mac's are being sold.
    It should also be noted that more and more PC's are being sold with 64bit operating systems. Something for trueCall to bear in mind for the future.

9. Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts New Member

trueCall Model:
    Yes indeed, I couldn't agree more.

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  11. tcmkstevo

tcmkstevo New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic

Hello.

I don't know how computer literate you are, but there are two options for you to try.

The first, as others have noted, is to install a 'virtual' Windows PC onto your Mac. I use VirtualBox (which is open source - I.E. free) for this you will need a recent Windows install disk and licence. This gives you a complete Windows PC which looks and feels almost exactly like a physical Windows PC, runs 99.999% of the Windows software perfectly, maps the Mac filesystem and hardware (DVD drive, hard drive, USB drives etc.) to their Windows equivalents and allows the use of Windows programs to run in an application 'window' side by side, at the same time, as any normal Mac application.

The second is to install the trueCall software into a 'WineSkin' wrapper. This convinces [or at least tries to] the software (trueCall Message Centre in this case) that it is running on a Windows PC and provides a gateway between the Mac hardware and the Windows software. This requires a small degree of technical knowledge, but is fairly logical once you give it a go. This has some degree of success, but I have managed to get some Windows only software working this way. The WineSkin wrappers and Winery (which creates the wrappers) are again open source.

If I'd been able to locate the installation files online, I was going to give the WineSkin thing a try on your behalf, but it appears that the files might include the activation code/system for the trueCall device and is not available to download as this could potentially 'give away' an upgrade feature that is charged for by trueCall.

Top Cat likes this.
  12. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I would like to refine what tcmkstevo wrote:

As said before, there are two possibilities:

1. Install on your OSX Mac an Emulator / Virtualization Software:​
    or​
    2. Install a Wine-based (http://www.winehq.org/about/) software:​
    I use Parallels and WineSkin. For the trueCall Message Centre I recomend WineSkin.
    It's much faster, takes much less space and you can directly store recordings on your Mac Documents folder.
    WineSkin and trueCall Message Centre are compatible and work up to Mac OSX 10.8.3 Mountain Lion.
    The initial configuration is a little bit complicated but once created, you will have one file of about 330 MB, which is small compared to the above-mentioned Emulators.
    You will then need to install the trueCall software into WineSkin. The needed file comes always with the recorder SD card from trueCall and is called "trueCall setup.exe". You wont find it on the Internet.
    The created file will operate like if the trueCall Windows application was a Mac app.
    The only drawback is, you cant use this file on another Mac because it's tied to your systems user-name and it needs to have the main files of WineSkin installed.

I recommend watching the following YouTube video to understand the initial setup and installation of Windows software in WineSkin:

Update: I rewrote the instructions on this post:
    http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/tips-tricks-codes.147/#post-685

Top Cat likes this.
  13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Perhaps you should add that virtualisation requires a copy of Windows to install.

14. tcmkstevo

tcmkstevo New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    WineSkin does not require any Windows disk nor licence. It creates an environment that convinces the software (trueCall Message Centre in this instance) that it is running on a Windows PC. It does this having completely re-written the core files of the Windows operating system using no Microsoft licensed code. It is an open source product provided free of charge.

VirtualBox, Parallels and VMware Fusion will require both a valid Windows install disk and licence. These work by convincing Windows that it is operating on a standard Windows PC rather than 'on top of' a Mac PC and operating system. VirtualBox itself is available at no cost, Parallels and Fusion are commercial products, but none of these products include a Windows disk nor licence as standard.

15. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    WineSkin is emulation, not virtualisation.

16. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
  17. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I will add this and other information, as soon that I have the "power" to edit my posts.
    I think the Mac OSX question is important and needs to be explained to not so literate Mac owners.

The goodie that I promised in another thread, was to post here a WineSkin file with the trueCall Message Centre already installed and with the approval from trueCall.
    Sadly this is not possible because WineSkin files are tied to the computer on which they were created.

BTW. It's also feasible under Linux.

Update: I rewrote the instructions on this post:
    http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/tips-tricks-codes.147/#post-685

18. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes, I know, but it's not virtualisation so it's easier to call it an emulator.

19. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    Wine is really a compatibility layer not emulation.
    Since you are running x86 code in an OS-X environment and Wine provides the windows support. Emulation would be running, for example, ARM code in either a windows, mac, or unix (including linux) environment using an x86 processor. iOS is a subset of Mac-OS on an ARM processor. Android is linux on an ARM processor.
    Although I would expect that in a future version of OS-X, possibly 10.9, that ARM instructions (ie iOS code) will be runnable in the Mac OS-X x86 environment. iOS is already run in a simulator as part of the iOS SDK.

20. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I guess the program itself doesn't "know" it isn't running on Windows, so the dictionary definition of "emulation" fits...

However, I am happy with "compatibility layer", I just couldn't think of it at the time.