1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

ICO and Ofcom draw up joint action plan to tackle nuisance calls

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by db1, Jul 31, 2013.

1. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    BT line - in God's own county
    From the Ofcom updates email list (2013-07-31):

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and Ofcom today published a joint action plan to tackle the issue of nuisance calls and help protect consumers.

The ICO and Ofcom share responsibility for taking action against organisations that generate nuisance calls or messages. The ICO has lead responsibility for tackling those companies who make nuisance marketing calls or send unsolicited marketing text messages, while Ofcom uses its powers to deal with silent and abandoned calls.

The plan represents a formal commitment from both organisations to work in partnership on a series of initiatives covering a range of areas. It also summarises key work carried out by the ICO and Ofcom in recent months to address the issue of nuisance calls.

A news release can be found here.

I'm sure Ofcom won't mind me reproducing their text here, it is after all, the first 3 paragraphs of the news release.

Comment(s):
    1. I hope this and the work between ICO and GSMA resulting in the data sharing agreement between ICO and the MNO's improve things regarding tracing of unsolicited calls/Texts.
    2. I suspect that ICO/Ofcom to come to the conclusion that the TPS under the auspices of the DMA is unworkable and toothless, and should be under ICO control. The problems are not greatly helped by the legal position that ICO/Ofcom can only impose penalties for calls or texts causing substantial harm or substantial distress. Here we have until 15th August 2013 to lobby to the relevant parliamentary committee, see the news in your true call control panel or this post here.
    3. I notice that in the plan it notes that BT have started work to always pass through inbound international caller ID, a shame that the required technical work will not be complete until autumn 2014, but I surmise that this requires equipment upgrades in parts of the system.
    As a footnote:
    1. Link to ICO blog post to accompany the news release.
    2. Ofcom guide for consumers on preventing and complaining about nuisance calls.
    3. Ofcom complaint reporting portal, (this has a clear guide as to the carve-up as to who is responsible and who to complain to)
    4. ICO complain about nuisance calls and messages page, (texts) page

2. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
  3. Ian022

Ian022 New Member

UK
    Two and a half years later, the measures have proved to be ineffective. The number of nuisance calls continues to go up.

4. martin

martin New Member

trueCall Model:
  5. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
  6. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    That won't bother the international ones!