1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

How to turn off/not use Community Block List?

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by dborn, Nov 12, 2015.

1. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    I use custom call handling and I don't wish to use the CBL (being in Canada and all).

From reading the announcement of the CBL launch, it seems it is turned off by default until a choice is made about how to handle those calls and then each weblink will be longer due to the download of those numbers.

I don't see any way to choose "don't use it" anywhere, how can this be done at this point?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Regrettably I cannot advise - using the trueCall Classic, CBL is not an option for me and does not appear in my control panel settings.

As far as I am aware, CBL is an opt-in, and should not occupy memory unless you have asked for it.

3. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    That's the thing, how do I know if I've "asked for it"? from my understanding, once you've gone into the
    Handling incoming calls -> customise page and selected a specific behaviour for the CBL, it's activated. I could be wrong. Once it's been activated, how can I deactivate it?

I've opened a support ticket about this and will update this thread with the outcome.
    As a feature request, I would say it should be clearer about wether or not this feature is activated and there should be an option to specifically deactivate it and it should also identify how much space it is taking in the 1000 number zap/star list if any.

4. UKfromFrance

UKfromFrance New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    France
    Hello
    I am also interested in how to turn it on/off. Have you had a reply ? Thanks

5. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    No, not yet, still waiting for an answer from Support. Apparently it is possible though. I will post back here as soon as I get an answer.

6. Rinansay

Rinansay Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I wonder if this might help?
    1. On the Internet Control Panel, select "Handling incoming calls".
    2. Next, click on "Customise".
    3. The bottom option in the resulting list of choices is for Community block list. I have mine set to "Block with unobtainable tone", but if you don't want to make use of the feature couldn't you instead select the option to "Accept call"? Wouldn't that have the effect of disabling the Community block list?
    The actual result would apparently be that "trueCall rings your phone immediately, and if you don't answer it asks the caller to leave a message." Would that be enough to solve your problem?

7. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    Thanks but no, this is not what I am trying to achieve.
    I already have it setup the same as unknown callers (my setup is starred callers ring the phone, zapped callers are ignored and everybody else goes only to voicemail) so I send the CBL numbers straight to voicemail.

What I want to do is turn off the processing of the CBL numbers. So I don't want to download/update the CBL numbers taking up minutes in my weblinks, using up CPU cycles and memory storage in the trueCall blocker unit. I read that the CBL list doesn't use up space in the 1000 numbers we can set so this memory usage is probably minor in the end.

So my main priority is stop this downloading and processing of phone call numbers that I will never get. (hopefully!)

8. Rinansay

Rinansay Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Dborn, as I've said I do make use of the Community block list feature. My scheduled and manual weblinks generally last for about 20 seconds, not the "minutes" that you fear. Now I'm in the UK and not in Canada, so perhaps for you things might be different. However, I've never noticed that use of the Community block list has caused me any problems. Admittedly I've never noticed that it has done any good either, since I've never been aware of any call that has been blocked by it. It might be interesting to know how many numbers the list actually contains.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    The point is that the UK CBL is entirely irrelevant for other geographic locations, and therefore should be possible to disable.

10. Rinansay

Rinansay Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I'm not clear that it's particularly necessary to disable the UK CBL even in other geographic locations, since my impression is that it has little or no effect anyway. However, what harm is the CBL feature doing? Dborn writes: "...So I don't want to download/update the CBL numbers taking up minutes in my weblinks, using up CPU cycles and memory storage in the trueCall blocker unit." I don't think use of the CBL takes up minutes in weblinks, but I've no idea about CPU cycles or memory storage.

However, if one is outside the UK and understandably doesn't want to make use of the feature, simply bypass it by setting the options for the CBL to accept calls, as I suggested earlier. The OP deserves a response from Support, though, and it'll be interesting to see what that is.

(Incidentally, I wonder if anyone has noticed a call being blocked by the CBL? I haven't.)

11. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    Just imagine the opposite effect. Suppose that when I zap numbers from my locality (or just using north american formats), that this would get uploaded to your UK CBL database and then these numbers end up "polluting" your trueCall units in the UK, how useful would that be? :)

Presumably whenever a phone call comes in, the trueCall needs to go through the star caller list, then the zapped caller list and then go down the CBL list? this takes time and CPU cycles, memory accesses, etc. I don't know how many numbers are the in the CBL list but ler's suppose 100 numbers at the moment. I've only had my trueCall for less than two months now but most of my weblinks have taken 2 minutes and up and these are all toll calls. Our pricing structure here in Canada (don't know about the UK) is that we are charged by the minute and they are rounded up to the next minute. So if a weblink lasts 1:02, I get charged for 2 minutes. If I can get my weblinks to be shortened even by a few seconds, it might make a difference on my monthly phone bill.

Right now, I use the weblinks minimally (once per week only) but if it was no more than a minute each time, I might be tempted to increase it to say, once a day so that the ICP might be more up-to-date and therefore, more useful.

If the CBL is "opt-in", there should be an "opt-out" also if, for any reason, I'd rather not use it. At the moment I've got support at trueCall asking the developers about how to opt-out and they are going to get back to me once they have an answer.

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    As I mentioned before, with a Classic the CBL isn't an option for me - but I'm very surprised if there isn't a tick box for it in the ICP. It really should be a matter of choice, even if you are in the UK. Minimal or not, it will certainly occupy the equivalent of zap list storage in the unit.

With regard to polluting the list, the CBL is not compiled from single examples of users zapping a number, so unless there were a significant number of users all zapping Canadian telepests, they would never make it onto the CBL anyway.

13. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    There should be either a tick box or simply an option called "do not use" in the pulldown list of options for how to handle the CBL numbers.

With regards to my comment concerning polluting the list with non-UK numbers, I realized that but was just trying to make a point. :) but thanks for clarifying it for anyone who didn't.

14. dborn

dborn Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Canada
    I got the answer back from Support and it is pretty simple in fact:
    So there you have it. :)

Please note that this also applies to the specific numbers handling (payphones, businesses, mobile phones, etc.) in the sense that if their handling is set to the same as unrecognised numbers, no lookup processing will take place for those categories.

Daniel

diabolo likes this.