1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Flashing Amber Light

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by Ross, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ross

Ross New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    What does a continuous flashing amber light mean? The unit is down the back of a cupboard so don't know how long it had been flashing. It is a blocker and recorder but set for recording only since installation. I pressed star and hash on phone and the recorder seemed to be working OK through the handset. Don't know if linked but the next morning found we have no dialling tone and no incoming calls. Callers hear ringing but nothing at our end. Any ideas?

2. Ross

Ross New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Just had an engineer to the phone problem and the phone is now fixed and working fine, so the non-working phone had nothing to do with the flashing amber light.
    SO WHAT DOES THE AMBER FLASHING MEAN?
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks.

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    The manual doesn't specify. I suggest you try support.

4. benhowardfan

benhowardfan New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I had the exact same problem, flashing amber, no dialtone, and anyone who called heard a ringing tone but it didn't ring at my end. I registered here to find a solution. My trueCall call blocker is now working fine again, and all I did was took it out of my set up (mainly so I could still use my landline) and left it out of the loop for 45 minutes or so. I then plugged it back in so as I could set up the Internet Control Panel and perform a Weblink to synchronise the trueCall unit with the Control Panel. After I did that it has worked perfectly and the amber light has stopped flashing. I'm guessing most users of trueCall have already set up their Internet Control Panel, I've had my TC for over 2 years, so I'm a bit late to the Internet Control Panel party - I don't think it was my setting up of that that solved the amber light issue and lack of dial tone, but thought I'd mention it anyway. I think that just leaving the trueCall unplugged for a while caused it to 'reboot' and resolve the issue, when I started it up again.

My advice, just unplug trueCall and leave it be for 30 mins to an hour and see if that solves any unknown (but specifically the amber light flashing) issue - good luck!

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    So you mean unpower the unit rather than disconnect it from the phone lines. There is no need to disconnect it from the phone lines, because unpowering the unit automatically engages a "pass through" mode.

6. benhowardfan

benhowardfan New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Hi TC, I didn't realise that disconnecting the unit from the mains would have sufficed - that's worth knowing (and makes sense now I think about it) thanks. But yes, that's what I mean, powering the unit off from the mains. I did (as I said) set up the Internet Control Panel and perform a Weblink to synchronise my unit, but I don't think that is what resolved the issue as I'd been using trueCall call blocker for a good 2+ years (I'd never got around to setting up the Internet Control Panel/weblink option) without any problems until yesterday. In order to allow my landline to be usable, I plugged my phone line straight into the phone socket on the wall, and left the unit unplugged from the mains for 45 mins or so. After setting up the Internet Control Panel option it has worked fine.

The old 'have you tried turning it OFF and ON again' routine, seems to have been the solution - unless anyone else knows different?

7. stevecr

stevecr New Member

UK

Hi, I've had the same issue: - incoming callers hear the ringing tone, but our phone doesn't ring. Broadband still works, but that is a different system until it reaches the copper wires to the house. The amber light flashes a lot, and occasionally the red lights will come on for a few seconds followed by a few seconds green. When you pick-up the handset there is no dial-tone. Sure enough there is line problem at the moment and Openreach is currently fixing it. I think the trueCall is telling you that it can't get a dial-tone?

8. Rinansay

Rinansay Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I had an intermittent problem with the flashing amber light and no dial tone from some time in August until early this month. Sometimes there'd be no dial tone for hours or days, but sometimes just for a few minutes. Since the problem seemed to be worst when there was heavy rain, I guessed that this might be the cause. However, I found it difficult to persuade BT that there was anything wrong with the line. I'd report the problem, and then the line would start working again, BT would test it and find no problem.

I did eventually manage BT to send an OpenReach engineer. At first he seemed to be at a loss to find what was wrong, but after some time he said that he could hear some unusual noises on the line. He then disappeared to the local exchange for an hour or two, and when he eventually came back he said that he'd found a problem with a card at the exchange. Since then the line has been problem-free, as has my trueCall.

Top Cat likes this.