1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Extended Warranty Scheme?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Resigned Member, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Resigned Member

Resigned Member Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
  2. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies

If that is what you would like to do.

Myself I never ever, take out an extended warranty on any electrical item. Chances of electrical items going belly up within what I believe is a reasonable period are slim.

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Insurance schemes are OK where the consequences of being unable to afford to replace a specific item yourself are too dire, but for this kind of thing you need to consider all your household electrical items together and realise that the cost of replacement for any individual item that breaks down (amortised over a period) is less than the cost of insuring all of them.

The better idea would be to put £10 per month into that account, and replace anything that breaks from it (not just the trueCall).

Besides, do you really expect trueCall to take on a commitment to replace a unit failed outside warranty at cost?

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Of course it's opinion. Almost everything anyone says is opinion. It's up to the reader to decide whether what they read has any validity. That decision is based on the reader's perceived reputation of the author and how well what they read fits in with their own ideas. Even if what's written is presented as "fact", one still has to decide if one trusts it.

I think that is exactly my point - the more items of equipment one has (on extended warranty / insurance), the more items one will not end up claiming on. it is therefore hetter (in my opinion!!) to either bear the risk oneself, or insure everything as a group, than to insure each item individually.

However, I think we might be at crossed purposes. Toekeneem and myself are arguing that we don't take out such insurance / warranties because we perceive them to be of low value, and you appear to be suggesting trueCall should offer an extended warranty because they could make money from it.

Is it the not the case that anyone offering such a scheme will have to be registered with the FSA and conform to specific requirements?

5. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
    I agree with the concept of self-insuring by squirrelling away a few (virtual) quid per month. Unless I'm very unlucky I know I will come out ahead in the long run.