1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

"Error on Memory Card...Please Remove Memory Card"

Discussion in 'trueCall Recorder (including Recorder Upgrade)' started by MrBluesky, Jan 18, 2016.

1. MrBluesky

MrBluesky New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Recorder
    MrBluesky
    Had my TC classic and recorder for years with no problems. I hadn't downloaded calls to my PC for ages and finally got round to it tonight.
    When I deleted all the recordings from my card (after saving them to PC), RECORD.ING was still showing as taking up nearly 1GB on the SD Card. I thought this was wrong, so I copied it (for backup) to the PC then deleted it off the card. Then thought better of it and re-copied the RECORD.ING file back on to the card.
    Now when I put the card back into the TC unit, I get the above error.
    What can be done to fix this?

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Did you use the trueCall app to manage the card, or were you using the standard Windows file manager? The instructions are only to use the provided application. If you didn't, you might be able to recover using the app, but I don't know for sure.

3. MrBluesky

MrBluesky New Member

trueCall Model:
    MrBluesky
    I used the trueCall app to copy, then remove all the calls individually from the card to the PC. This showed as giving 70 hours capacity on the card.

I then looked in Windows Explorer and saw the file RECORD.ING was still showing as almost 1GB in size, which didn't make sense to me and I thought something must be wrong/corrupt in the file. I thought maybe that if I deleted it, another copy would be created when the card was put back in the unit. So I copied the file to my PC then deleted it off the card. Then, before putting the card back in the unit, I changed my mind and realised that the tC unit is not that clever. So I copied the RECORD.ING file back from my hard drive to the card. When I put the card back in the tC, I get the error. So even though nothing is different about the RECORD.ING file in terms of content, the tC unit is presumably not liking this file now.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Think of the RECORD.ING file as a container for another virtual file system that the trueCall uses to manage the recording system. "Not that clever" is completely inappropriate - "secure" is what I would call it.

It may sound like a cop out, but I don't think there is any information on the forum about re-initialising a recorder card. You will have to approach support.

5. MrBluesky

MrBluesky New Member

trueCall Model:
    MrBluesky
    1GB of file size for the "virtual file system" even when there is no user data included!! And you think "Not that clever" is an inappropriate term?

I suspected that I might have to resort to a support call, but thanks for your interest and help anyway.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Why would it be necessary to waste effort performing garbage collection and returning the unused space to the host file system? It's not like the space is being shared by anything else.

No, this has definitely been thought about. As long as there are processes to:
    • Grow the size of RECORD.ING;
    • Limit the size of RECORD.ING if it approaches the storage limit;
    • Mark areas within as unused when individual recordings are deleted;
    • Reuse areas marked as unused,
    ...I don't see why you think it's a problem. Those operations are practically identical to database management.

I suspect that what is annoying you is that the trueCall environment is not "open". That's a commercial decision on their part, take it or leave it.

7. MrBluesky

MrBluesky New Member

trueCall Model:
    MrBluesky
    Well, without any detailed technical knowledge of file systems, and just applying good old logic, one might assume that if a memory card has a nominal capacity of 2GB and 1GB of it is being taken up by what seems to be a simple data collection "system", one might be able to free up space for even more data collection.
    My mistake ( and I realise it was a big mistake) was to think that there was any other functionality on the card that might recreate that file if I deleted it.
    I'm guessing that even if I'd tried to make a backup of the whole card before stupidly meddling, I wouldn't have been able to or at least it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference to the problem I have now and I'd still be having it.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    It's hard to say, I'm working without specific knowledge. The file system on the card may have been prepared to be readable on a Windows system without additional drivers, but nonetheless have differences which would cause standard Windows file management operations to corrupt it - which the dedicated app avoids.