1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Early Elation!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Belligerent Barbara, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Belligerent Barbara

Belligerent Barbara Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I only took delivery of my Call Blocker this morning. Just before it arrived I had answered a call from a solar panels place, calling from a UK landline number. I work from home, and although most of the calls I get are local (I have starred my STD code), I can't afford to ignore calls from outside the area as they could be legit. I asked who they were, and when they told me I hung up. I have got fed up with telling people I'm registered with TPS, you shouldn't have phoned me etc - waste of time, hence my purchase of Call Blocker.

So, set up the unit, had lunch, went out for the afternoon. When I got home, I did some more configuring on the ICP, then did a weblink. That was when I discovered my unit had dealt with three calls in the three hours I was out. One was number withheld - could have been anyone - one was the same bunch that phoned me this morning, and one was a business in London that I have dealings with. All were screened with Whisper - all rang off.

Delighted about the withheld number and the solar panel muppets - not so happy about the business. They are now on my star list, and the solar panel people are zapped.

Looking forward to finding out exactly how many times a week someone ignores the TPS and phones me......

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
  3. Belligerent Barbara

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Thank you.

Never have I been so keen for some telepest to call me. I want to watch my Call Blocker in action. I have the urge to do a weblink, just to see if anyone has tried this morning. Isn't that sad?

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Not in the least. You have a new toy!

5. Belligerent Barbara

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    It's also prompting me to do more reading and research.

I've found a forum for Call Centre workers. Makes interesting reading...... they clearly think that anything which prompts someone to register with TPS is A Bad Thing..... haven't found any mention of trueCall yet, but I bet they hate it.

There was a trial published earlier this year to measure the effectiveness of the TPS. As a newbie I can't post the link.

It says TPS is effective, because registration reduces the number of unwanted calls - by about 35%. Well, that's just not good enough, is it? Plus there is the fact that even if tougher enforcement increases the proportion of businesses which do start respecting it - the out and out frauds never will. So, there will always be a need for call blockers.

Also the average person in their trial received just over 4 nuisance calls in a four week period. I've received four this week.... and it's usually worse than that. Which makes no sense to me.... I *never* buy from cold callers, so what is it that prompts companies to put my number on the lists they sell on? I am not a good prospect, I am a telemarketer's nightmare.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Feel free to edit your post when you have passed your probationary period (I still have to delete spam posters on a regular basis)!

Supposing all call centres etc respected the letter of the TPS rules. You would still get calls:
    • Not originating in the UK;
    • Where the call can be classified as market research rather than marketing;
    • Where the caller can claim some kind of existing relationship with you (however tenuous);
    • Where you have ticked an opt-in or not ticked an opt-out when responding to other correspondence or on-line activity.
    I may have missed some exceptions.

I have a small amount of sympathy for call centre marketing; in a free market economy there should be no restriction on the means by which businesses are permitted to present their offering to the public, and if they are able to target that marketing at a selected sub-set of the public most likely to be interested then it is of mutual benefit (and hopefully those of us less likely to be interested wouldn't be pestered). This is not so different from targetted Google ads. The difference is that a phone call is an interruption whereas web adverts (or TV adverts) are in the background and can be ignored.

The TPS is utterly useless, and should be dissolved rather than give false hope. Let the free market use whatever marketing it likes with the bounds of decency, and the public take direct control of who they talk to through the likes of trueCall (but with better discrimination on the CLI).

7. Belligerent Barbara

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Fair point. And, in my case, spectacular fail. I have never, ever bought anything from a cold caller. Not once. Ever. I am a waste of their time.