1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Dect phone's own answer machine and Whisper

Discussion in 'General' started by jem16, Dec 26, 2014.

1. jem16

jem16 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    I've just set up my new trueCall unit and wasn't sure about this so thought I'd ask.

I have set up a Star callers list so numbers get straight through. I'd like my own answer machine to handle any Voicemail but would still like to use Whisper or Whisper & Shield for other types of call.

Can I do that? . I read that you must switch off your own answer machine if using Whisper.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    I use the phone's voicemail for starred callers by making sure the phone cuts in before the trueCall (on my Classic the voicemail can't be turned off, but can be set to 2 minutes which is as good as). Non-starred callers go direct to the trueCall voicemail.

I don't have direct experience of Whisper, but thinking it through from what I know, if somebody gets through that way all the trueCall is going to do is ring the phone to pass on the whisper response and get no reply if you are not there to take it. If the phone's voicemail picks up, the whisper will be passed on - probably before the voicemail starts recording - but there will be no key press to tell trueCall how to handle the call. You could include a key press tone in the voice announcement maybe, that would provide a default command to trueCall.

3. jem16

jem16 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    Ok thanks - I've done that now.

I shall need to find out more about what Whisper actually does. I know it asks the caller for a name which most pests won't give so I was hoping it would only really put through genuine callers whose Caller ID doesn't show up for whatever reason.

So if trueCall's Voicemail takes it if I'm not at home, it also has some sort of ability to handle a call? That's the bit I was unaware of so far.

I'm not following you on that I'm afraid. Could you explain if possible please?

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    As I said, I am not familiar with the Whisper system, but suppose your phone picks up a whisper with its answering machine announcement. Say you normally pick up and hear the whisper response, then press (for example) star to let it through. If you include the star key tone in the phone's recorded announcement, that will be equivalent to you pressing star in person.

You will have to experiment. You can test the system by dialling in with a mobile phone - if you key 141 or #31# before dialling it will withhold your number from CLI.

5. jem16

jem16 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    I follow what you're saying now as I hadn't understood what Whisper did.

I did try some things yesterday using my mobile. Once my answer machine kicked in, I still heard the ringing sound on my mobile as (I later realised what was happening) no-one was around to press the appropriate key. About 5/6 rings later trueCall's Voicemail kicked in and I could leave a message.

So basically what ended up happening was that I got trueCall's Whisper message followed by a bit of nothing and then my message on my Dect phone's answer machine. I also got a message on trueCall's Voicemail.

So I shall try the star key tone as you suggest and see what that does. Thanks for your help.

One thing I have noticed is that trueCall's own voicemail system is very "hissy". Is there any way of improving this?

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    "Star" was only an example - I don't know that it should necessarily do anything. For "star" substitute something appropriate.

No. There are existing topics discussing the sound quality. It may be a reflection of your line quality.

7. jem16

jem16 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Scotland
    The Dect phone answer machine has perfect clarity and no hiss so I'm not sure on this.