1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Cold Calling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Resigned Member, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Resigned Member

Resigned Member Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
  2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    If you want my opinion, I think a more rigorous definition of a cold call is an unexpected call from an organisation you have no previous relationship with and with no specific targeted purpose (that last part is not a good definition but I can't think of anything better at the moment).

For example, somebody might find my phone number (somehow) in relation to some club or activity I am involved with, and ring me up to enquire about it. That call is totally unexpected and from somebody I have no existing relationship with, but I would not describe it as a cold call because the caller specifically wants to speak to me rather than just anyone.

I think you have been very harsh on the council - according to your post you are (or were) the owner of a section of a shared property to which the council also owns a section. You have a common interest, and it is reasonable the other owners might want to contact you from time to time on matters of common interest, just as you might. It is usual for owners of flats to have a shared interest in maintenance of the communal areas, roof, etc. From first reading, it sounds like the council was offering you a fixed price maintenance charge which you might consider in preference to being hit with a £10,000 contribution to the roof being replaced.

In summary, no I don't think your examples above are cold calls. Nuisance calls, maybe. However, I have to say that in general I would prefer a letter.

3. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    I wouldn't say that this is a cold call. The clue is in the word my. Presumably you have an existing relationship with them and they have done a prior service MOT test for you. Yes, they're touting for business but it isn't a cold call.

David likes this.
  4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    That's what I meant about being harsh. The challenge was not, in my opinion, justified.

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Of course! Anything can be a nuisance call as long as it is a nuisance!! :D

6. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    England
    Including my parents 'phoning during tea time!