1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

cold caller psychology

Discussion in 'Telepests' started by Andy C, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Andy C

Andy C Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    Bought a trueCall last week and using the default profile. So far it has successfully blocked 2 callers using 'Whisper'.

I must admit this rather surprised me. When I get marketing calls I have tried:-
    • Politely asking to be removed from their database.
    • Pointing out I am registered with TPS.
    • Say I never buy over the phone.
    • Saying I only rent the property and the landlady is out.
    • Saying I run Linux so can't have a Windows virus.
    • Asking if I get paid for my time for market research.
    • Get agitated and swear profusely in a loud voice.
    I can't understand why some of these options don't work more successfully. Why don't they update their lists to say 'Mr. Brown' should be excluded as he's hostile, will never buy and any outbound call just wastes our time.
    Do they think the target may move house or they might get another member of the household who is more receptive ?
    Why are they defeated so easily by the Whisper challenge ? Why not chance it and say 'Dave' in a muffled voice and try the same sales pitch ? I'd probably accept the call because it might be 'Dave' my long lost mate or 'Dave' the mechanic.
    Is it because they think 'Call Screener - extra hostile, technically savvy user, no hope here' or because their scripts and/or training simply don't handle this scenario ? Or aren't they - without being rude - that intelligent ?
    Genuinely curious to hear what other TC users think

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Have you never watched the TV documentaries on call centres? They take absolutely no notice of any of that stuff - until they think there is a receptionist, which probably means it is not a domestic line and could be recorded.

3. Belligerent Barbara

Belligerent Barbara Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    I can vouch that they pay no attention to any of the methods Andy C has tried - I have used most of them myself, and others, but still the volume of spam calls increases.

I am also interested in the psychology of the cold callees - the ones who welcome the calls, and buy whatever it is from the callers. Such people must exist, or the cold calling would just stop. They only do it because it pays. But, I have never in my entire life spoken to anyone who regards cold calls as anything other than a total pain in the bottom and bane of their life.

So, who are these people who make it worthwhile for the cold callers to call? Or is it that the cold callers keep on calling until they find a vulnerable person, and fleece them for all they've got? Are they roaming the phone network in search of your elderly and demented rellies?

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    ^^^ This.

5. Andy C

Andy C Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    My job involved technical support for call centre software but most customers I visited were a) large reputable companies b) service centres for Inbound calls.

Watching The Call Centre with Nev Wilshire's setup in Swansea was quite interesting (apart from the environment and antics). Those agents were doing classic cold calling to try to sell boilers with Government grants. They kept scoreboards for each agent and they might typically get 8-10 sales but it wasn't clear to me whether that was a day or for a week. Also, the 'sale' was necessarily a sale but a lead for a followup visit by a sales guy.

As you say, I suspect, they do prey on the vulnerable and gullible. I am quite surprised and pleased my Dad hasn't fallen for the 'Windows Service Centre' scam which do try to close a fraudulent sale on the phone.

6. Belligerent Barbara

Belligerent Barbara Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    UK
    All the more reason why the system for enforcing the TPS needs to be given teeth. Don't get me wrong - I can already see that trueCall is a great product, and I wish I had found it sooner. But it shouldn't be necessary, should it? I am neither elderly nor vulnerable, but cold calls leave me incandescent with rage.

No more :)

7. Spam Basher

Spam Basher Member

trueCall Model:
    I grew up in the post-war depression, and we were plagued with "so called gypsies" (not genuine Romany) selling door-to-door. My mother avoided answering the door, lest the seller "put a curse on her".

However I well remember my big brother answered the door, and simply putting a curse on the caller. She ran off screaming and we were never bothered again.